Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

18,221 to 18,240 of 18,283 messages
31/10/2012 at 17:24

I dunno, I'm not sure, Paula Radcliffe apparantly did a week or so after but she is a professional athlete with lots of help...I know I wouldn't have been able to for at least 4 weeks, but I guess it depends on your delivery and your body?!  I think if you rush it too much and your abdo/core/pelvic floor is not ready you risk damagaing yourself for longer, also the pelvic floor has to be ok to take the high impact without leakage(!)  I would also want my uterus to be contracting down and the bleeding to at least be almost stopped/slowing right down otherwise you may cause some more bleeding to start again and I wouldn't want that...  Poor you re the placenta, I have a real fear of post-partum haemorrhage!  Irrational I know but hey!

01/11/2012 at 15:58

Didn't Paula Radcliffe also suffer a stress fracture of the Coyxx due to coming back too soon?

After my first, I ran about 3 weeks later. There is no way I wanted to run before that. I took it slooowly though and built up gradually. I really concentrated on the exercises that the hospital gave me for getting my abdominals back together, then started on strengthening exercises. I think I did them twice a day...or something equally as obsessive!!

Happygonicky, I think if the physio has specifically said don't run, I wouldn't. It will more than likely be all the relaxin kicking around that causes the unstability and I guess it is *only* 9 weeks. How about cross trainer or spin?

Sonita, good one on the 1st run back, long may it continue

01/11/2012 at 18:05
I thought I remembered something about Paula and a stress fracture but wasn't sure
01/11/2012 at 20:44

Either the sacrum or cocyxx...I think

02/11/2012 at 07:37
Yes, I think you're right. Anyway Anjelicasls I definitely agree about the exercises, regiliously doing pelvic floors and pelvic tilts to help abdo midline get back together in those early days helps enormously doesn't it and will aim to do the same again. I'm also hoping for a slightly less traumatic birth this time which should cause less muscle damage and bruising
07/11/2012 at 14:04

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well? I'm being very sensible and not running (bit of aquajogging, power-walking and am going to do some spinning too, as suggested). Am also planning some cross-trainer action. Dr and midwife think baby is breech so have added 'baby-turning' exercises to list! Yikes!     

11/11/2012 at 21:29
Oh no, hope baby turns with exercises. Will you try the external turning? Two people at work had it done recently, (both unsuccessfully) & ended up having a c- section, but all fine in the end. The turning leaves you pretty sore & bruised but worth a try I guess?
Good luck with the turning exercises
12/11/2012 at 11:02

Thank you! Mm, not sure. I was breech as a baby and the placenta was damaged in the process, so I was quite ill when born. Will do a lot of research into it. Really don't fancy a C-section though! How are things with you? Are you feeling OK?  

13/11/2012 at 19:56
Hey, I know what you mean about not wanting a section (in fact after 12 hours o labour when i was told i was going to theatre and may need an emergency c-section i cried!) but unfortunately after research you may decide its the best option if turning doesn't work. I'm not sure what I'd do. I know both women at work said they (independently) researched & decided to try turning then c-section if unsuccessful rather than breach natural birth but its such a personal decision, poor you. If its any consolation my friend recovered very well from her section and seemed in fact less painful after than my rather traumatic ventouse delivery with J!

I'm fine thanks, just big and uncomfortable. Rib pain & back pain if I sit down & pelvic pain if I walk too much! All ok though which is good
14/11/2012 at 10:53

It's such a funny thing, isn't it! Wouldn't have thought it would remotely have bothered me before! It's a good point you make re recovery times. What will be, will be. So much of pregnancy is out of our control, I am learning!

Same here re back and pelvis pain. Much harder for you having to look after your little one too! Is your husband helping out a lot? Hope so! Went from being tempted to run a couple of weeks ago, to consoling myself with a nice, long walk on Sunday and putting pelvis out again. Got it sorted v. quickly (yay to fab gynae physio service!) and have learned my lesson. Aqua areobics, preg yoga, 'normal' walking and pilates about the limit now. Still, not too long to go. I've even laid out some stuff for hospital bag (and I'm a packing-at-midnight-before-a-flight kind of girl!   

14/11/2012 at 14:18

oops, I did a similar thing on a long walk pushing the buggy on Saturday, forgot that pushing things bad for pelvis, and a 2 mile walk which included lugging buggy up and down a bridge tice was a bit too much.  I don't often use the buggy as I normally make him walk and stick to shorte (slower!) walks. Could hardly walk Sat night but it was much better Sunday.

My husband is lovely and helps out a lot, except he had arthroscopy sx on his knee at the end of last week so hasnt been much use this week.  He may have to go back for a crucitae repair sat some point as his ACL is completely gone and he has also torn his meniscus but we've agreed not to do it before the birth as I want him to be able to drive me to hospital!

Very organised packing your hospital bag.  Last time I found unpacking it and repacking it gave me something to distract me when in early labour at home!  I had only half packed it as J was 10 days early (which hadn't even occurred to me!)

Take it easy.  When do you start maternity leave? 

14/11/2012 at 14:19

oops sorry for all the typos!

14/11/2012 at 14:27

It's so easy to forget what you're not supposed to do, isn't it?!  Just trying to get on with things normally etc. Am glad rest has eased things though! How many weeks are you now? 

Ouch re your husband. That doesn't sound much fun. Is it healing OK? Sports injury? Fair enough re driving you to the hospital!! 

I did think to myself it's highly unlikely things would happen so quickly I wouldn't have time, but I was talking to a friend at the weekend who was kept in at a routine appointment and induced - that made me get on with it!! Plus husband and mum kept asking me to get sorted. They're both very organised types, me not so much!

21st December. So excited! I honestly won't know what to do with myself. Mind you, Xmas should be a nice distraction! What about you? 

16/11/2012 at 22:16
I finish that week too!

I only 2 days of mat leave before J arrived so I've decided to give myself more time & also having J means I'm a lot busier than last time.

His knee is complicated but basically an old football injury that he suddenly made worse again by tripping over a step in the back garden!!! But yes thanks it is Ealing fine and he's being good and doing all his physio

Take care.
16/11/2012 at 22:17
****healing*** not Ealing blooming iPhone!
19/11/2012 at 10:06

Eek! Two days before J's arrival! Great to get to meet him quickly, must have been a bit gutting not to have had a bit of time to yourself though! 

Glad the healing process is going well! Knees are generally complicated, aren't they? They seem to show signs of wear and tear more than other bits of the body, don't they?

19/11/2012 at 14:21

So relieved to find this post! I'd looked on mumsnet and stuff to find running or exercise related posts and they are few and far between!

I'm only 4 months, so still have a way to go. Anyone got any running whilst pregnant tips? 
PS This is my first!

19/11/2012 at 14:43

Ps (again) My bf ordered me some clothes from this site and they are GREAT. Can already tell that they're going to be a godsend when my bump gets bigger, they already feel nice and supported.
Hope this helps any other running mums-to-be out there!
 http://www.fittamamma.com/section.php/2/1/fittawear 

19/11/2012 at 14:59

Hi Run2Mum, 

Congratulations! Listen to your body would be my main advice. If you're knackered, rest up, but otherwise enjoy it. Cherry Baker's Pregnancy & Fitness is superb. I found Fit & Fabulous great for maternity running/gym gear.  

31/12/2012 at 19:52
Hi, I'm posting this message using my husbands account as I'm after some advice and from reading the recent posts am sure you can help!
I've just found out I'm pregnant so literally just 5 weeks. I've been running for the last 5 years although not always solidly - a few breaks here and there for a couple of months. Since April though I,ve run normally 3 times a week, taken part in an off-road 10km and run at the furthest 9 miles. I am signed up to do the bath half, which I am reluctant to pull out of as I'm doing it for charity but am wondering whether I should really be training for a longer distance than I currently run? I have done a half before but was a few years ago now. Does anyone know if there are there lots of 'walkers' who do the bath half, as im happy to jog/walk it? All being well I'll be about 13/14 weeks by race day.
Thanks for any help!
18,221 to 18,240 of 18,283 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.