Pregnant runners' club

for anyone who's expecting...

18,261 to 18,280 of 18,283 messages
09/04/2013 at 20:54
Hey tatty good to see you over here. Need to tell Brookie as well. Sorry you're so sick. Much sympathy! I'm almost out of it. Still have odd moment but I think now caused by -TMI alert - tons of mucus which is coating my throat and makes me gag every so often. When will the misery end? Why can't I bloom?! I'm still eating too much but that's habit now rather than the necessity of the first 20 weeks. I'll be 24 weeks on Friday hurrah. Today however I am feeling lousy. Even left work early, 2.50pm, which I never actually do. I usually threaten to go but hang in there. Today tho I have such bad pain in the right side of my face that I had to go. It's just sheer pressure and my teeth feel like they might fall out!

I'm going to get back on my spin bike soon, honest, even tho running is a no. Back was killing me after 3 k fun "run" on sat. Plus after the first 200m I had to walk for fear of a we(e) accident!!
16/04/2013 at 19:58
Hi
Hope you are all well, I've not posted for ages as I sadly lost my previous pregnancy at 13 weeks, but am now expecting again - fingers crossed all is well with this one.
Just looking for a bit of advice really, I'm 11 weeks and having trouble with breathlessness while running. Ive just been out for what was supposed to be a 10k but had to cut short and walk back as I literally felt like the air wasn't going into my lungs. I experienced similar on & off over the past couple of months, but put it down to the cold air when it was snowy/frosty out. Today has been really mild though so that can't be the issue & last week went out and ran my fastest time in ages - just don't know what is going on,
It's really frustrating though, just wondering if there is anything I can do or if anyone has an experience of this.
Thanks
17/04/2013 at 14:07

Hi Lynda,

I'm sorry to hear about your previous pergnancy, but I am pleased that you are now expecting. I'm sorry, no tips on the breathlessness. Hope you're feeling ok otherwise?

My sickness still hasn't gone, and it seems in the last week or so to be getting worse. Combined with the hormonal tears, I'm a bit of a wreck. 25 and a bit weeks now, so I'm not sure this nausea is ever going to go.

17/04/2013 at 21:31
Hi Mingo
Sorry to hear your sickness is still with you at 25 weeks, fingers crossed it passes before too much longer. Mine is not too bad now - it tends to come in waves rather than being constant, but I'll be glad when its gone - think it was about 14 weeks with my daughter when I started feeling like an actual functional human being again!
The trouble is that to stop feeling ill I've been eating pretty much constantly - and it's not been good stuff either! Carbs, sugar, fat - running was my only hope so ill be gutted if this breathing issue means I can run anymore. Ill be the size of a whale!
Are you still managing to get out? Think I gave it up at around your stage last time as it was too uncomfortable running with the bump.
Hope you feel better soon
L x
18/04/2013 at 13:08

Hi Lynda,

I'm so ready to be a functional human being again!!! I'm glad to hear that your sickness is easing. I'm with you on the food thing, far too many doughnuts. It seems I'm able to eat even with the sickness, it's drinking I really struggle with. Unfortunately I've felt too ill to run, but have managed a couple of gentle swims. Need to go more often though!

E x

26/04/2013 at 15:44

I thought I would re-post with an update.  I am now at 19 weeks and on sunday I ran the London Marathon.I'm still running happily as long as I drink lots of water, have food straight after and just chill out and enjoy it.  London was my last 'long' run and i'm not planning on exceeding about 10-12 miles from now on but it was awesome.  I was about an hour longer than wwhat would be a normal timme for me for a marathon but it was so lovely to be there and I was fully prepped to drop out if the bump got grumpy.

In terms of breathing I always find I have to walk, then trot, then run to 'warm up' that way my breathing settles very quickly.  I am only out of breath if I set off too quick and bump doesnt have a chance to catch up with me   chat and run, then you know you are going the right speed.

My midwife has been brilliant and essentially is telling me to listen to my body.  If it says I can run then there is no reason at all not too.  My cycling days may be limited though as being hunched up on a bike is getting more difficult.  Swimming is lovely.  She is actively encouraging me to stay active and it apparently best to stay fit if you can.

I bought the Runnersworld guide to pregnancy and running which is on amazon and it was sooooo helpful.

03/05/2013 at 08:15

Hi Shelley, well done on London thats awesome!!  I am 19 weeks and planning on running Edinburgh Half when I'll be 22+5 weeks  I normally do the full marathon unfortunately I tore my hamstring in November so I didn't get back to training until after I found out I was pregnant - I have totally adjusted how I run and go about 2-3 minutes a mile  slower than I would normally and will be happy just to complete the run and not care about my time  Do you take must notice of your heart rate, I have been getting varying opinions on it and I am really not sure how high i should be allowing my heart rate to go??? Any advice?

03/05/2013 at 20:27

Wow so great you still managed to do the marathon - that must have been a great experience & will make a fab story for your little one!

My breathing seems to have sorted itself out - I've slowed right down to around 6.30/km and just taking it really easy so I've managed a few decent runs lately.  

Unfortunately though it seems I have come up against another issue - pain in the pubic/ groin area after my run which seems (according to Dr Google) to fit the symptoms of SPD.  It eases a day or so after running so not too great an issue at the moment, but I'm very wary of running the risk of either making it worse quicker or suffering long term issues.

im unwilling to give up completey though so early, so what do you think about cutting the distance (currently running approx 12km) but trying to go out more regularly? has anyone any experience of this?  What strategy did you use? I'm 15 weeks now.

thanks x

26/05/2013 at 08:14

Can anyone recommend a good support belt? It seems this pregnancy is pulling on my sciatic nerve and Im hoping support belt recommendation may help. Any other suggestions very welcome also. Cant quite seem to accept that I'll be banished to the gym at 20 weeks. I ran until the week my son was born the last time. 

thanks 

07/06/2013 at 22:08

Quick wave although it seems very quiet on here these days. I'm expecting baby number 3 In January hopefully so about 7.5 weeks pregnant.  Hopefully catch up with some others dues the same time

07/06/2013 at 22:30

Hello janie  can you believe this is me 32 weeks and sorting out clothes!! 

10/06/2013 at 15:07

Hi LMun, 

I have literally just been recommended this clothing website for supporting your bump when you run! 

http://www.fittamamma.com/

I have had a quick look and their stuff looks quite good! Anything fashionable, sporty and comfortable is fine by me! 

This was who recommended it for me http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/pregnancy-and-running/252049.html 

she seems pretty pleased! 

10/06/2013 at 17:20

Hey everyone - 33 weeks and still with the sickness  I tried to order a few bits and pieces for my hospital bag and had a bit of an 'overwhelmed' moment! Can't wait for the good old hor'moans' to settle down again...bursting into tears at anything!!!

Managed to find an antenatal yoga class, but its a bit more of a 'tea, biscuits and stories with a bit of gentle stretching' class. Still, it's the best I can find round our way at the moment and has to be better than doing nothing at all!

Hope evryone else is feeling well.

18/06/2013 at 16:08

No I dont wear a heart rate monitor.  My midwife told me that its irrelevant really as different people need different rates, the key thing is that I can easily hold a conversation whilst running and if I can do that then I am running at the right pace.  It means I have to walk up hills but i'm now 27 weeks and still running although I am dropping my distances.  I am now running no more than 5 miles, mainly because that is my bladder capacity now and the length of time that bump will happily sit still without trying to fidget!  I did my last 10k the weekend before last.  I bought a fitmamma running top which is fab and a sports bra is a must!

The best thing I have done and can reccomend is to get someone to draw you up a gym programme suited to the bump.  I got a nice lady at the gym specially trained to do so to put something together that feels challenging however wont do any harm and adjusts your core muscles as the bump gets bigger.  I get it adjusted every 5 weeks as certain excercises need swapping out.

Ha ha Mingo I agree with the yoga comment- its very tea and biscuits!

03/07/2013 at 10:54

There was a US runners world book on pregnancy and running which taasked about running and perceived exertion and never running beyond 7 on a scale of 1-10. Basically being amble to have a chat as others have said. Having a shocking time at mo, had a second bleed this week (I'm 11 weeks) which was a biggie. Bubs ok for now just t o take it easy

04/07/2013 at 11:27

I bought this book when I was first pregnant...managed to get a 2nd hand copy off ebay...I'm assuming it is the same book of which you are talking Janie? It was any easy read and actually made a lot of sense to me. In the end (as you'll know) I didn't carry on running, but I would've done if I could have kept water down! I'd recommend it anyway.

I'm nearly 37 weeks now, and desperately eyeing up the baby jogger xc which is sitting in our downstairs loo...hopefully a couple more months and I can get back out there. If anyone else is looking at jogging prams, and can't find one of these to try, I have to say it seems very well built, whilst still being relatively light. It has a hand brake as well as the foot brake, is incredibly easy to put up and down and all three wheels come off to aid sticking it in the car if you have a small boot. Has an amazing turning circle...we're planning on using it as our every day pram too, but will let you all know how we get on once baby is here!

04/07/2013 at 11:28

Hope you and baby stay well Janie - bleeds are so scary. I had a couple in the early weeks, but fortunately none since.

06/07/2013 at 08:48

I wondered if anyone knew if regular pilates is ok to do when you are pregnant.  My physio told me that it was great for pregnant women but then I thought lots of ab work and lying on your back for long periods of time was a no no.  Confused 

06/07/2013 at 13:04

It would probably depend on whether you can find a practitioner who is trained to modify the exercises for pregnant ladies. We do spend a bit of time on our backs in pregnancy yoga, but not long. I'd have a chat with your local teacher and see what they suggest.

20/07/2013 at 13:58

Pip I think they say not before 15 weeks (or used to!) I know there's a few ante natal classes round here and I live in deepest darkest South Wales

18,261 to 18,280 of 18,283 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.