Quadricep Strain

2 messages
10/03/2004 at 20:22
Last sunday I was doing some sprints when I felt a fairly sharp pain in my left quad. Stupidly though I carried on (probably due to the fact that my ITBS wasn't playing up)! Anyway, I kept stretching it throughout the session, which eased the pain and was thus able to continue.

I iced the injury when I got home and have continued to do so. By Tuesday a lovely large bruise had appeared, although the area itself isn't really that painful. I can walk around without pain, the problem arises when I do squats and I assume sprinting will only aggrevate it to.

Anyway, what I would like to know is the time scale for these injuries and is there anything else I can be doing to quicken the healing process? I've looked on the internet and it seems to vary from a few days to three months - is this right?
10/03/2004 at 21:06
well.... if there's a bruise then there's torn muscle fibres....
When I did mine it swelled up for a few days - was unwalkable on for one day - but I was able to run on it within 5 days

So long as it doesn't hurt to run on - and you keep going in a straight line and avoid steep hills (especially downhill) and sharp turns - and excessive distances, simple running should be OK

BUT normally quads don't just tear unless there's an underlying reason - eg a muscle imbalance / sudden loading etc It might have been the sprints which triggered it...

Was it straight dead centre in the front of the leg - about 5" down ? That's where mine went - and it was because of a huge muscle imbalance - and it just kept recurring until I sorted out the imbalance problems etc

Also, look at www.hartmann-international.com
articles
stretching

for some really effective (different) techniques of stretching

Oh yeah - and suggest you avoid lunges for a bit as well as squats - until you are sure what caused it and that its fully recovered and you've got no other imbalance

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.