Races too close?

4 messages
08/09/2003 at 16:36
I did the Bristol Half Marathon yesterday, and was disappointed with my performance - felt pretty rough for most of it, and didn't reach my time goal of sub 2 hours. My friend who also did the Bristol with me, but felt fine wants us to do the Stroud Half (22nd October). I had been considering it, but wondered if it was too soon? I wouldn't want to do it and have another bad performance because I've overtrained/raced.
Any advice?

Thanx

08/09/2003 at 17:01
rachel - last year I did the bristol half in 2.02 (and a bit). 2 weeks later I did the GNR. I decided that if I didn't overdo the first one, I could use it as a training run for the second. Don't worry too much about feeling rough yesterday - you weren't alone - I think the weather knocked quite a few people for six, you probably saw the scattered bodies towards the end (hope you're ok guys & gals).

So - summary. Unless your body complains alot, I don't see why you shouldn't do both,

08/09/2003 at 18:12
I agree with Bouncer. I read that it takes a day per mile to recover from a race and you have 6 weeks until the Stroud half so plenty of time. Just listen to your body, take it easy for a few days after yesterday then start building up again.
09/09/2003 at 08:23

Thanx for your advice. I'll see how well I recover.
I managed to avoid being one of the scattered bodies near the end..could have done with a bit more cloud cover though - I was baking!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.