Recovering from Knee Injury

5 messages
29/05/2014 at 21:31

Good evening Runners,

I am new to this, so please forgive me if I am posting something that has already been posted, but I'm looking for some advice.

Last November I dislocated my knee, alongside that I damaged cartridge and it has been a nightmare ever since. Pain wise, I'm a lot better than I was, although when I start running I do feel a considerate amount. It has been 6 months now so I would like to get back into it.

I'm fed up of not being active, so I'm after a good quality knee support, or advice on more recovery.

Anybody dislocated their knee before? if so, how long will did it take before you started running again? with or without a support.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

>
30/05/2014 at 01:43
Cartilage damage is often permanent. Dislocation shouldn't really be the problem. Only the meniscus only the outer proportion has a minimal blood supple so small damage may repair slowly. Larger tears and any damage in the inner proportion is permanent. I would have seemed medical advice regarding whether I should run with such an injury. What did the doctors say re the cartilage ?
>
30/05/2014 at 07:41
I have had conflicting advice. It hasn't helped that I've had to relocate with work so changing GP and practice has been tough.

The consultant said that all I need to do is build up my quads, which I have done squats and bike whereas I saw a private knee physio who suggested the only outcome would be surgery - I haven't actually torn cartilage, I've damaged it which would mean the op would only be a small one. The NHS isn't having it though
>
30/05/2014 at 13:07
Athroscopy versus Sham operation (where no operation) was quite telling - there was no difference. Have you looked at the evidence on it?
>
>
30/05/2014 at 15:19

Conclusion: In this trial involving patients without knee osteoarthritis but with symptoms of a degenerative medial meniscus tear, the outcomes after arthroscopic partial meniscectomy were no better than those after a sham surgical procedure

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305189

Do your research before contemplating surgery. If a surgeon is suggesting conservative measures, well, that is even more reason not to do it! Sports injury is the best money maker for private orthopods and I am sure it definitely influences their decisions. The average orthopod doubles his income and makes an additional £100,000 from their private practice despite most of their time being in the NHS.

>

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.