Recovery After VLM

5 messages
25/04/2012 at 11:19

Sunday was the first time I have run that distance (taking Eons to finish I might add!)

Just starting to recover now, and after a 2 days of real muscle stiffness, things are loosening up - the only thing is, I am getting random shooting pains in various leg muscles, they keep catching me by suprise!

Is this normal for recovery after a really long distance as I have not had this happen before?

25/04/2012 at 16:09

Sounds reasonably normal to me. I don't think I'd worry unless it persisted more than a week or so. I sometimes get random shooting pains after very long runs, also knee/ankle swelling, extreme stiffness, odd muscle spasms and cramps, legs just giving way under me, joints making alarming popping noises etc etc.

With recovery, I tend to find the first time is the worst for any new longer distance. First time I ran a marathon I was hobbling for a week. Now I've done a few, I'm usually pretty much okay after a couple of days.

P.S. Congrats on your achievement! 

25/04/2012 at 16:15

Thanks for that!

glad to hear its fairly normal

other than the shooting pains I'm not feeling as bad as i expected to, just pretty tired 

26/04/2012 at 09:44
My legs are fine today to, but like you MM I am so tired....
26/04/2012 at 10:55
Fairly normal, especially going down stairs or if underfoot is uneven. Shouldn't last much longer unless you've done some mischief

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.