rip off physios

Check out their credentials...

21 to 23 of 23 messages
18/10/2004 at 11:25
I've been waiting to get some facts before contributing to this thread. Finally tracked someone down withing Department of Health who knows what they're talking about.

The term "physio-" is now regulated - you can no longer use it unless you have the proper qualification that would previously have qualified someone for "state registered" status.

BUT there is not yet a continuing professional development regime in place for physiotherapists and similar professions. This means that someone could have qualified twenty years ago and be completely out of date as far as current techniques are concerned - may in fact not have practised for a long term.

Apparently nearly all good physios are attached to the major teaching hospitals, so expect to go to one if you want the best.

Another piece of advice is don't self refer - go through your GP, who should know the good ones, even if you want to pay to go privately.
18/10/2004 at 12:43
Well it's good to have different perspectives, but I disagree with much of that Glenn.

There are a load of post qualification courses for physios - they may not be compulsory but if you look in the back of the profession's magazine and see the volume of them you;ll realise that there must be a fair few of them doing them. No doubt they'd welcome more funding and time off for training but I think you paint an overly bleak picture of professional development.

Why would the best physios be attached to teaching hospitals? Many physios don't even work in the NHS because they can get better pay elsewhere. It may be true that bigger hospitals have more specialist physios as it would be true of any health profession - to say "nearly all good physios" are attached to teaching hospitals is patently false.

I'd much rather take the recommendation of someone I knew than the word of my local GP. About 18 months ago I was in an NHS physio clinic in Derby and they reckoned most GPs in Derby weren't even aware they were there.
18/10/2004 at 13:24
With regard to Sports Massage Practitioers, any member of the Sports Massage Association (MSMA after their name) must complete a minimum CPD requirement (40hrs) each year, and submit the paperwork to the SMA for verification, in order to remain a member of the association.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump