Runners needed for physiotherapy project

1 message
18/01/2004 at 13:40
Sorry if you've already seen this posting on the training pages!

I'm a final year physiotherapy student (and keen runner) looking for runners
from the Southeast to participate in my research project.

Essentially, the study aims to increase the understanding of the possible mechanisms behind knee pain in runners. Physiotherapists sometimes use exercises that aim to change the activity of muscles around the hip for lower limb injuries such as 'runner's knee'. These exercises are based on theories suggesting that the tensor fascia lata muscle may be overactive and the gluteus medius muscle under active. This could lead to altered forces at the kneecap through an increased lateral pull (via both the iliotibial band and a more medial position of the knee).

The study will look at hip muscle activity during treadmill running in
runners who have remained injury free and those who have had anterior knee
pain in the past but are not currently injured. Subjects need to be senior
males (18-40), have been running 20+ miles/week for > 1yr, and fit onto one
of the above categories. It may later expand to include ladies and veterans.

The data collection will be taking place at the University of Brighton's
Human Movement lab in Eastbourne between mid January and end March (at
weekends and evenings). It will take approximately 45 minutes.

If you are interested or would like any further information, don't hesitate to contact me by email (M.J.Long@bton.ac.uk).

Thanks,
Matt Long

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.