Runner's World weight-loss feature

We want to hear from you

21 to 40 of 68 messages
15/05/2013 at 14:29

I plan to run my first 10K in June, started running in March and have lost 8 kilos so far - about another 30 to go!!

15/05/2013 at 19:01

I have signed up for a half marathon in September and hope to loose weight. I will be recording it all in my journal so I can keep track of what works and what doesn't.

15/05/2013 at 22:29

So many people are bigger when they cross a marathon finish line than when they started training for it. It takes enormous will not to eat back the training calories. That has to be mentioned in the article. As some have said I think key is no refined sugar snacks at all, no late eating and plenty of warm drinks . I have maintained low weights and importantly energy levels on porridge and drinking tea and for salt veg stock is great. Plentiful fruit and veg too. Not so exciting, but works.

15/05/2013 at 22:32

I just ditched all sweets and replaced them with fresh fruit that made a huge difference.

15/05/2013 at 22:43

When I started running I was around 7stone now I'm closer to 8 and it's not all muscle. So like the others have said racing doesn't automatically equal weightloss...

15/05/2013 at 22:51

No it doesn't I think everyone agrees that but it does help put you in the right frame of mind, you have more energy, feel better about yourself, which all lead to extra motivation making it 'easier' to stick with a diet, it's how's you can commit and cope when your body is moaning which helps you to be able to say no when it's grumbling saying feed me. 

Personally when I started running my body ached for the first month pretty much non stop, made my silly little tummy grumbles way less important and helped put them in perspective. Mind 1 tummy 0

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 22:58
16/05/2013 at 08:07

I think it depends on your starting weight to be honest.   If you are already a "healthy-ish" weight then you might tend to put some on either through gaining muscles of eating back your training calories.

If you are like me and hugely overweight then running will help you lose some weight initially (assuming you are not eating 5000 calories a day of course).   It also depends on metabolism, diet, muscle structure, and so many other things!   

17/05/2013 at 19:20

I've never really had any weight issues, even before I started running (

last September). I'm 19 y/o so that probably explains it! I run about 34-40 miles a week and don't eat sweets, pastries, chocolate or crisps. Plus I only drink at weekends. During afternoons i like to have a bowl of cereal- it really picks me up! Hopefully this means I won't put on weight. I'm 6 foot and weigh about 10.5/ 11 stone according to the ridiculously old and unsophisticated scales I use at home.

24/05/2013 at 13:13

I've lost 1/2 a stone through a combination of running and circuit training at the gym - but more importantly have lost approx. 4 inches off my hips and bum, for me inches lost  was/is more important than weight loss.

24/05/2013 at 21:42

Yikes I'm famous*

* Not really.  

11/06/2013 at 10:50

It doesn't matter how much you run, If your diet is rubbish then you will probably put on weight. Sort out the diet and the weight will come off naturally.

I've lost 4.5 stone over the last couple of years by diet alone (17st down to 12.5st) and recently started running now that I am a sensible weight.

These people who talk about carb loading before going for a training run are potentially eating more than they burn off and hence will put on weight.

11/06/2013 at 18:28

It's difficult when you get into longer distances to get the balance right - I mean the balance of dieting/excercise and the balance of the scales.

I started running to lose weight and keep fit. I'm 5ft5 and was always around 10st. I did some half marathons and got my running up to probably 20m a week. At my lightest I dropped to 9.5 stone and saw and felt the difference. I'm now training for a marathon and I'm finding it really hard to eat enough so I have the energy, but not to put on weight. I've got my distances up to 19miles and you do need to take on some carbs to get yourself through it - you have to fuel your body properly.

At the moment I'm only just less than 10stone. The problem is I'll go for a 10 mile run in the morning and my usual low-cal diet of yoghurt for breakfast, salad for lunch and a light dinner just doesn't sustain me throughout the day. I'm aware of what I eat and make sure to snack on healthy foods like dried fruit and nuts which are full of energy, but also CALORIES! And if I don't snack, I crash and end up eating chocolate instead! 

11/06/2013 at 19:36

How about running in the evening? I feel less need to eat extra when I run in the evening then come in and have tea. Less time to snack or have temptations.

20/06/2013 at 15:12

To me running seems like a daft way of going about weight loss. The real game is controlling the diet;  running and other exercise can complement this. I lost 3 1/2 stone through control over my diet, and got to the weight I wanted. I am not going to self delude myself in thinking that exercise  was responsible for this. I'm all for promoting running, but not as a primary weight loss method. 

Occassionally in marathon training my weight rises slightly as I fool myself into thinking I need to eat more than needed. I would see marathon training as a terrible method of weight loss.

20/06/2013 at 15:54

strangely enough, I put on weight when I'm training for a race.  Like last Summer I gained about half a stone when training for the HM.  This year so far I have cut back on my training (but I need to start stepping it up again soon for the next HM) and i've lost 8lbs so far.

I need to get lighter as there's less of me to carry to go faster

it's only cutting calories that works for me as regards losing weight..... training makes me hungry

21/06/2013 at 08:12

If training makes you hungry then try and run a couple of hours after a scheduled meal, just before dinner (or something like that). Then you can have a decent satiating meal after your run to curb your appetite.

Eat rich protein and fat sources to fill yourself up....Low GI food can help too.

If you eat High GI sources then you will just have an insulin crash later on and begin gorging again..

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 08:14
21/06/2013 at 08:47

In the weekdays I do that I come home run, have a banana milkshake, shower then tea. 

I struggle with diet and running at the weekend especially if I do a park run as that seems to make me hungry for the rest of the day no matter what I eat after it.

02/07/2013 at 13:43

I do 3x 5K a week Walk/run programme, and I have to admit I am struggling to get the weight off. No matter what, I tend to eat more when I exercise, and my self control goes with the eating, but super disciplined with the exercise.

I also do weights twice a week, and try to get one other cardio session in along with gentle walks with the dog.

I wish I could have the same discipline with food as I do with exercise, if I did the weight would stay off rather than one good one bad.

02/07/2013 at 15:03

It's hard but 3 x 5k is only  going to use less than 1,000 calories for all three sessions if you run them fully so walk run, you might be using a lot less, so eating more will add up probably to more then you are burning.

I know what you mean about eating now i've got down to my target weight i cannot really get any more off and i'm running 25+ miles a week.

It's unfortunatly all down to calories, running is great and will really, reallly help to tone your body, but, no matter how you do it the simple reality is that you need to have only x amount of calories going into your body in the first place to loose weight.  There is no real magic, it's boring and dull but you just have to really try to keep below around 1,500 calories a day on average, if you have a week or two where nothing comes off weight wise, you just have to keep going and it will start to come off.  I know it's really dull, but saying your self control goes... then for example you try to make up for it by exercising more... It just doesn't work. The only way to properly diet is keep down the calories going into your body in the first place.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound negative, but I run and utterly love it, and it's given me a figure that is way better then I could hope for considering where I started, the running shapes the body but the loosing weight came about through being strict with my diet. 

02/07/2013 at 15:54

Just eat healthy fresh food. Avoid the pre-packed stuff in the supermarket and make from scratch....Even just doing this simple thing will help you control the amount of rubbish that goes into your system.

If you feel snacky, reach for some fresh fruit/veg, cooked meat or nuts....stay away from chocolately/sugary snacks as they will just start you on an up, down rollercoaster of eating and feeling hungry.

I'm not going to start preaching about going paleo but for weightloss it is worth a look..

Next time you reach for a Kit Kat chunky(mentioned as they are my wife's favourite distraction at the moment), think about how long you would have to run to burn it off..280 calories in a few bites or you could have a large plate of chicken breast with a decent salad that will fill you up!

Edited: 02/07/2013 at 15:55
21 to 40 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.