Runner's World weight-loss feature

We want to hear from you

41 to 60 of 68 messages
16/07/2013 at 08:24

Bollocks.

Losing weight has nothing to do with any perceived healthiness of your food, it's simple calorie control.

As for paleo, no one eats a paleo diet in this country. If you did you'd have to bloat out during the summer to survive the starvation of the winter months when you couldn't forage for food. As usual people have taken a concept and completely changed it to suit their agenda to make themselves appear more rightous.

16/07/2013 at 09:09

Agree with various previous posters, at it's simplest weight loss is a case of consuming less energy than your body uses. 

16/07/2013 at 12:51

Yep- if you just ate the guideline 5 a day for fruit and veg or even doubled it then you would still starve. Running will not make you lose weight on its own, nor will eating chocolate and drinking beer make you fat. 

Eat what you like but reduce the amounts if you want to lose weight. I lost 50lb from september to xmas last year before I started running in January. Now that I run, I can pretty much eat as much as I like and lose weight if I don't eat 3500- 4000 everyday, which can be tricky when it is hot or when Life is hectic.

27/07/2013 at 14:28

Hi! Hope someone can give me some advice here....I've been running for about 7 years, 2-3 times a week and 30-40 mins per session. I have to be careful about doing more than this as otherwise I can back ache.... I'm healthy and a vegetarian/fish eater. I used to be a size 8-10, especially when I started running but now I'm creeping up to a size 12 and am not happy! I still have a heatlhy diet but I may have been eating a bit more since meeting my boyfriend about 2 years ago.

Is eating less and keeping up the same level of running all that is going to get me back to a size 10? I'm starting swimming again as well once a week. I've tried this for about 6 weeks and no improvements!

Be grateful of any thing you could suggest.

Thank you!

28/07/2013 at 21:15

Pretty much. A good target is to count the cals you normally eat, drop the 100 or so you are overeating and another 500 to lose the excess. Look for things with added sugars such as breakfast cereals, chocolate etc and replace with an apple or something. Being a veggie I guess you are use to watching your protein intake etc already.

01/08/2013 at 10:34

Louweeza - If you have an i-phone there is an app available called My Fitness Pal where you can log your food and exercise and I found that really helpful.  The first couple of days it is a pain as you have to select all of your foods to add from their database but you can store foods on your favourites then and it makes it much quicker.

Keep plugging away there anyway it sounds like you are on the right track but just need to tweak things a bit more

09/11/2013 at 11:59

I found a nutritionist, paid £80 for one session with her and in return I got a custom meal plan, which I coupled with I a rather basic running regime [30 minutws job every second day]. I lost 9 stone in 6 weeks! I think what I learnt from this is professional guidance is important!

09/11/2013 at 14:02

9 stone in 6 weeks.  Yikes 

09/11/2013 at 14:43

Did they cut your head off?

09/11/2013 at 15:17

6 months i meant! haha sorry guys....

10/11/2013 at 21:16

sounded a little painful

14/11/2013 at 17:02

What did the meal plan say?

19/11/2013 at 16:17

I was tipping the scales at 24 stone at the start of January this year (I'm very tall 6'8") when I made the decision to try and sort myself out.

I was drinking too much, eating a lot of takeaways (pizzas, curries) and fry ups, and not doing any exercise.

I had previously run a marathon (New York 2008) but had gradually let myself go until I was doing almost no exercise. As a consequence the weight piled on with my awful diet and I was a mess.

I decided that the key to this was not to try and set myself a 'New Years Resolution' and do it all at once, but to improve each facet of my wellbeing one at a time. So first, I changed my diet. Out with the curries, pizzas and regular drinking sessions down the pub. Instead I now eat a lot of fresh food, a healthy breakfast of porridge with toast and peanut butter sets me up nicely for the day. Chicken or fish with salad and couscous or bulgar wheat for lunch and a similar meal for dinner is a typical menu for me.

The thing I noticed was that I can still happily enjoy the odd curry, pizza or fry up, but now it feels like a special treat rather than the norm and I enjoy it more.
I have also noticed that I also really enjoy helathy fresh food a lot more too.

Once the diet was pretty much sorted, I then gradually increased exercise, going for 3 mile runs 3 times a week at first with some gym sessions. Then when I felt comfortable I started increasing the mileage.

At the point where I was comfortable with a 6 mile run after a few months, I decided that I was ready to sign up for a race, but just a half marathon this time.

The intensity of the training programme, mixing long runs, short recovery runs, speed work and gym sessions, has kept me interested and motivated.

My weight loss had plateaued, but as the training became more intensive and my diet was adjusted accordingly I was able to break through this plateau and reach what I believe to be my fighting weight of 17 st 10 lbs.

In the first half I achieved a time of 1:40:52, which I was really pleased with for a first race in over 4 years, and I'm doing another half in a couple of weeks. Also, I now actually have to eat a lot more just to maintain energy levels so that I can do my runs justice, which is great!

Next year, I plan to run a few more halfs to really try and break down the PB by a couple more minutes.

But this year, with the help of the motivation gained from entering a couple of races, as well as sorting the diet out, I have managed to lose over 6 stone, my resting heart rate has gone right down, as has my blood pressure and on the whole I now feel absoltuely great.

I think the advice I would give anybody is don't try to sort everything out at once, break it down into one thing at a time, and don't always expect instant results. After all, your health and fitness should be something that you take care of for life, not just for January.

19/11/2013 at 22:28

Well done Alastair.

25/11/2013 at 11:29

Well done Alastiar and Tom - nice comment KateF!

Running is a key aspect of my weight management and I had a disaster at the weekend when I pinged my Achilles racing my son to finish at parkrun....

Any top tips for managing weight while hardly being able to walk - what a time of year for it to happen...

26/11/2013 at 17:15

Eat less.

06/12/2013 at 15:49

... And burn calories using the parts of your body you can still move. (E.G. arm exercises/swimming).

09/12/2013 at 14:50

...And consider if you should eliminate carbohydrates from your diet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-Vintage/dp/0307474259/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Edited: 09/12/2013 at 14:53
12/12/2013 at 17:24

...And if you're trying to lose weight, once you've exercised don't eat back the calories you burnt off.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/oct/28/healthandwellbeing.features1

13/12/2013 at 08:37

Or do what I'm doing.... which is having an awesome Xmas not giving a care in the world about the weight until the 2nd of January, and then promising myself i'll get it off by the end of January Xmas is not the time to start a diet if you are thinking about it... If you are already dieting it's easier to keep going in December at times, but seriously starting to behave over Xmas is just not worth the effort. 

Don't diet as a new year resolution, but diet in early January because you want to and you have a lot greater chance of sticking with it.

41 to 60 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.