Runner's World weight-loss feature

We want to hear from you

1 to 20 of 67 messages
25/04/2013 at 15:23
The magazine is working on a feature about losing weight through racing and we want to hear your stories.    We are looking for people who have signed up for a race, and found it helped them to lose weight. Perhaps you've tried to lose weight before but struggled with motivation etc but found this really worked.    We're looking for stories for each of the following distances: 5K, 10K, half, and full marathon.   Tell us: the lessons you've learned, the things they did right and the mistakes made (and put right). And importantly how racing was the catalyst for the weight coming off.   If you want to contact us directly to tell us your stories please email, editor@runnersworld.co.uk and put 'racing weight loss' as the subject. 
25/04/2013 at 20:16

I have lost nearly 6 stone by running eating better & doing Tae kwon Do....

26/04/2013 at 17:00

I've managed to lose about 25KG in last 8months from never run before to running a half in a couple of weeks. I love running. Have emailed the editor. Who knows.

26/04/2013 at 17:50

I started running last September . I had lost 4 1/2 stone when I started and have lost another 1 st 10lb since and ran my first half marathon 2 days before my 44th birthday in march and have entered another two . I feel better now than I have in the last 25 years .

26/04/2013 at 18:02

7 and a half stone lost through running. From zero to ultra marathons in 3 years. 

seren nos    pirate
26/04/2013 at 18:12

I put on weight when i marathon rain or ironman train..........so make sure that you don't make it sound like everyone who starts running loses weight......

if you overcompensate and give in to the feeling starving after exercise its easy to gain even when training 14 hours a week

26/04/2013 at 20:57

I have lost over 2 stone since Christmas. Training for and completing the London Marathon last Sunday. I took over 2 hours off my 2012 VLM time.

27/04/2013 at 21:36

I used to be a big boy. At my heaviest I tipped the scales at 15 stones - thankfully no photos exist.

I was about 14 stones when I ran my slowest half marathon (2006 St Albans Half - 2:11:07) This prompted me to start taking running a bit more seriously as a way to lose weight. I ran the 2007 London Marathon in 4:58:09 and after that the running bug bit deep. Through a mixture of diet and exercise the weight started to drop off. The more I got into running the more I began to eat healthier, the less weight I carried, the easier the running became and so on and so on. The weight eventually dropped to 9st 6lbs & to others I looked ill. Eventually the muscle mass built up and the weight settled at 10st 6lbs. In the meantime, PBs fell at all distances & I just ran VLM in 2:54:22 

28/04/2013 at 12:09

I have lost a total of 6 stone and running was a hugely importantly part of keeping the weight loss going and then maintaining it.

Also a massive personal sense of achievement as I always used to the 'fat one' at school who couldn't wheeze my way around the track.

I have done numerous half marathons, 16 milesraces, a 20 mile race and now can say that I am a marathon runner after finishing the London Marathon last week.

However I have struggled at times with the correct diet in order to have enough energy top run long distances while keeping weight low - anyone else experienced this and have any advice?

28/04/2013 at 14:41

Hi karen, I did London last week too, and put on a few pounds as the long runs got longer and I was starving! Weight is back down now and for me the answer is to make sure I have carbs with every meal, and cut out ALL biscuit, cake and other sugary snacks, and stick to fruit, but it takes a lot of will power and I don't always manage it!

29/04/2013 at 12:03

I did 12 Marathons last year and although I got my PB down from 4:33 to 4:20 I put on a stone over the period.

29/04/2013 at 21:23

My general experience is that running helps me control my weight but I trained for and ran my first marathon in London this year and am now as heavy as I've been in ages....I'm confident it's not all muscle You have to be disciplined not to fall into the 'Well, I've run 18 miles, now I can eat what I like' mindset.

30/04/2013 at 23:02

6 stone on 12 months using weightwatchers online and running.

It's been an awesome year, and running has given me so much more energy for life.

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 23:02
30/04/2013 at 23:30

Karen fruit and homemade pasta I'm in the lost 6 stone camp and know how hard it is.

02/05/2013 at 14:39

I was over 19 stone when I took up running to lose weight. Down to 13.5 now and still loving the running

Story here for anyone interested in what I did http://herbifit.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/95/

Mark

02/05/2013 at 19:15

You told it in the one-liner above. I run put weight on when I eat well or carb load properly

07/05/2013 at 03:12

Why not just copy the article from the American RW like you usually do?

12/05/2013 at 21:40

Think I am a non responder - I run to maintain weight, if I didn't run I would be size of a house. Would love to now lose some extra pounds to improve my running. Really hard as spend most of my time starving, downside of marathon training. I am convinced that I could know some considerable time off my times if I wasn't carrying extra pounds. Would love help, but know ultimately it has to come from me and my motivation!

14/05/2013 at 12:28

I lost 3 stone through running.I will still continue running because i need to loose more weight.

14/05/2013 at 12:35
seren nos wrote (see)

I put on weight when i marathon rain or ironman train..........so make sure that you don't make it sound like everyone who starts running loses weight......

completely agree. It's only been through careful eating habits that i've lost weight and not through running. I would use running a marathon as an excuse to carb load, eat whatever I wanted/when I wanted.

1 to 20 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.