running after hip replacement

7 messages
30/06/2012 at 12:45

Would love to hear of anyone who has returned to running after hip replacement, had mine six months ago missing running like hell, oh come on my fellow runners kick me back out there

01/07/2012 at 09:22

I had a metal on metal hip resurfacing three years ago.The surgeon had no problem with me running but told me to wait for a year to let everything bed in and lose some weight.I have since completed two marathons,twenty half marathons and twenty five 10Ks.I sometimes get a bit of discomfort with the longer distances so have cut out the marathons.

Best of luck with your return to running and don,t rush it.

01/08/2012 at 18:58

O thank you Jim you an insperation, well done to you, well have got out there again and WOW am re hooked the mind allways was!!  bit info for you my hip ceramic on titaniam with large head my surgeon says at least 25 yrs use. We the new breed of bionic runners. Good luck to you. Gosh it must have been hard waiting a year.

04/08/2012 at 08:06

The waiting was hard,but no point rushing it and risking more damage.

Hang in there.

04/08/2012 at 10:53

You  very sensible Jim.

Did short run in the week along Blackpool prom 'O it was heaven' the waves rolling the lovely warm breeze, yes it well worth being patient.

Thank you.

08/08/2012 at 10:42

had my hip resurfaced 7 years ago. Started running 10ks three months after operation. My top distance was 12 miles after the op but reduced it to just 10k due to some pain. Up till tree years ago I was running to keep wait down when sudenly the pain started kicking in when I got only a few miles in to my run. I then also got news that the implant was being recalled! So all running stopped. Tests came back from hospital that my implant was ok and no need to take it out. The pain is to do with lower back. Now I have moved to semi retire in Tenerife, Canary Islands and in the last week have tried running again. I did a test 3.3mile run yesturday and it went ok with no pain. So Im going to give it a few days now before another run, make it 4 miles this time. The heat out here helps alot! 

04/03/2013 at 22:59
I had a hip replacement a year ago.

I took it very carefully for the first 4 months - no running, stuck strictly to my exercise program etc. After 4 months my doctor signed me off and we had a chat about running. Basically, running is likely to shorten the life of your new hip and therefore they cannot recommend it. However, you as an individual need to balance the effect on your personal wellbeing of not running with the fact that you are shortening the life of your hip. The health professionals would rather you found something with less impact to do.

I can't imagine not running- so I do. I know that I am probably knocking time off the life of my hip, but if it is a choice between running for 20 years or walking for 25 I choose to run.

However, that doesn't mean I go silly about it. I try to listen to my body.

My first run was just after 4 months after my op. It was a parkrun 5K. I walked the first 1K, then moved to a very slow jog. The plan was to do maybe 500m before walking again, but I found that I just kept going at a slow jog.

For the next couple of months I kept it to no more than 4 miles and on grass where possible. A couple more months, up to 6 or 7 miles. Just over 1 year after the op, I did a half marathon (last weekend). I know now that was my limit. For the first time I was properly aching afterwards, so I will do 1 HM per year, but nothing longer.

And, for the record, my fastest post-op 5K is only 10 seconds slower than my best pre-op and my HM is an official PB.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.