Running after Plica Removal

How easy is it to get running again?

6 messages
16/07/2012 at 19:19

Hi

I have just had my Plica removed and am wondering if I will get to run again and how long until I run again? If anyone can offer me any advice would be really useful.

My other concern is to whether it will come back again? As much as I love running I don't want to cause myself further injury.

Please help

Thanks

16/07/2012 at 19:20
I'd ask who ever removed it
16/07/2012 at 19:48

give your body time to heal, dont ask random strangers on a forum. theres not really much that we can do to help. sorry.

17/07/2012 at 08:53

Thanks for the reply, I am seeking advise from the hospital, but thought there may be someone who has had something simular done who may be able to give me some hope.

17/07/2012 at 20:45

I had one done over 13 years ago, it became apparent after upping my mileage up too quickly when i tried running back then. As i hadnt actually been running all that long I didnt end up taking it up again and did other exercise.

I have tried running a few times since and would always go out and run for as long as i could, usually first run about 20 mins and would build up over a couple of weeks to 35 mins and my knee would hurt again so i would give up.

This time i really wanted to do it as a friend at work was doing the couch to 5k, she was getting on so well, and especially as she had never run before. So i decided to start at week 5 and build up gradually. It was a few weeks before i felt my knee and it wasnt too bad so i would ice it during the evenings and make sure i got my rest days in. I am now up to 10k and it sometimes aches a bit but i again ice and rest it and so far so good. Take it steady and dont run on it whilst its hurting, i think a golden rule is to listen to your body. Good luck

18/07/2012 at 10:37

Henrietta, thank you so much for your experience.  I'm planning on taking it slowly and definately listening to my body. I don't want to have to go through this again.

Good luck with your running, sounds like you are doing a great job

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.