Running and Fluoxetine

any experiences?

1 to 20 of 59 messages
30/09/2006 at 14:43
Hello there,

I have been prescribed Fluoxetine as I keep crying and cen't get out of bed. :((

Anybody else taking it?

what does it do to your running?
30/09/2006 at 15:00
{{{{{Stellina}}}} Hang on in there, life gets better. The medication might take a few weeks to be effective and you might not be the happiest person in that time - be patient. I wasn't on fluoxetine for long as it didn't suit me, but I can't recall any major hiccups in my running while I took it. I'm only a plodder anyway and the depression was more to blame for my lack of energy than the drug was. Some anti-deps do seem to take your 'oomph' away for awhile but IMHO sorting out the depression is the most important thing and then rediscover the running as a positive step forward from being low.
Good luck and just take thing one day, one hour, even one minute at a time.
30/09/2006 at 15:34
You might want to take a look at the thread Antidepressants and Training (what's the effect) where people on various antidepressant medication have talked about the effects of their medication on running.

You may have some unpleasant side effects until it gets into your system (takes 2-4 weeks) but then they subside. If after that time, you are still getting side effects that are interfering too much with your life, then ask your health professional to reassess your medication and possibly change it to a different one. I tried 2 or 3 before I found the right one and narrowly escaped the dreaded Lithium!

Good luck with it all - it's a long road but there is light at the end of it. I had severe depression for 3 years or so and have now been medication free for almost a year.

If you want to email me off the boards, please feel free to.

Creamcake (CC) xxx & ((((()))))
30/09/2006 at 15:58
((((Stellina)))) This is a temporary measure, if I read things right. Whether it suits the running or not is academic, if it is doing the job of getting you and your family through the next few weeks. You'll come out the other end of this every bit the runner, it's not going to rob you of that.

Just hang on in there. Kids to school, food in bellies at the end of the day (they use to say food on the table, but I never thought that part was strictly necessary).

Perhaps reread the railway children?
Duck Girl    pirate
01/10/2006 at 15:47
Hope it suits you - but if it doesn't then there's other ADs which might work better, so don't panic.
One thing the docs dont usually mention but has been useful for me is to take meds with food (or at least milk) at least for the first few weeks - that way they seem to make me feel less sick & manky.
Side-effects are worst for the first few days, and the good bits don't kick in for a while - so stick with taking them to get over the nasty bit when you start.
01/10/2006 at 16:18
I've been on/off Fluoxetine for 15 years and it's not the med that has stopped me running/exercising, it's been the blimin depression!!!!

Concentrate on getting yourself better first before you think about the running! getting out of bed can 'feel' like running anyway, so don't push yourself. Let the med get into your system and start working, then hopefully you will start to feel more able to exercise and ease the crying/depression.

Catherine x
02/10/2006 at 12:17
Thank you all so much for your support,

the reason I posted my query was that I am so much in two minds about taking Fluoxetine.

Running helps me to control my moods, and am worried that if I do not run and take Fluoxetine I might turn into a zombie.

I had fairly troublesome depression when I was 24. Certainly the pills (prescribed by a very good psychiatrist, not gp) saved my life but they also changed my personality quite a lot - just to mention two examples, I started exercising compulsively (5,000 m swim a day - that's the equivalent of a half marathon a day), stopped eating (control issues!) and became a 'dainty' size 4/6 (I'm size 8 now).

I can still 'function' at the moment - I work and the urge of jumping out of higest window is under control.

I worry that the cure might be worse than the disease, that the pills may take control of my life and my personality again as it has been in the past.

My main question for people on Fluoxetine, if you are good enough to read this, is, are you still 'yourself'?
Flr
02/10/2006 at 12:23
(((Stell)))

not taken fluoxetine but took seroxat some years ago

I was worried that I was not "myself" and that I was "better than well"

I was told of course I was myself- and I had just lost touch with what well feels like

please be kind to you honey, and if you don't want to take the fluoxetine go to the doc and find another course of action, cos toughing it out isn't really an option with a young family

Susan
xxx
02/10/2006 at 13:45
very good advice on here

Depression does get better, and isnt a pemananet state
but take all the help you can get and dont try to "keep going" or "be strong" just cause you always have been

thinking of you
Ruth xx
02/10/2006 at 19:43
Fluoxetine, like the other "new" anti-depressants (Seroxat, Lustral etc) has very few side effects and they go away in a couple of weeks.

You will still feel like "you". I take Lustral (Sertraline Hydrochloride) and have taken Prozac (fluoxetine) before. I felt normal. Where "normal" was me, without the constant crying, etc. It doesn't make you into someone else - it makes you into you as you ought to be. Normal, not crushingly sad.

I have only started running recently (this year)and have been on anti-depressants for nearly 15 years, so I don't know what it's like running without medication. Feels pretty good though.

Duck Girl    pirate
02/10/2006 at 20:31
Having tried various meds, and being a geeky psychology undergrad reading everything i can get my hands on, i've ended up deciding that the only way to find out wht the meds are going to do FOR YOU is to take them yourself. Muchly annoying, but true - especially as fluoxetine has a whole list of side-effects which are either going to go one way or the other (sleeping lots, or not at all, for example), and you can't really tell before taking them what you're going to do. You can always just stop taking them if you decide they aren't for you.
Usually on SSRIs I spend the first few days feeling more anxious (especially after the first dose - being prepared for this helps, & now i usually ask for sleeping tablets at the same time for at first) & sometimes sick, but these go after a few days. Takes a few weeks to know if they are going to help though.

I've not found depersonalisation too bad with SSRIs, although some make me sleepy & tired enough to be quite 'out of it'. Am i 'still me' on them - well, you could argue about that one for ages - running sticks lots of interesting chemicals in your brain, some much like heroin, and i'm sure i'm a different person now than i would be if i hadn't been running for the last few years. There was some interesting research recently showing that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (talking) & ADs produce similar changes in brain structure - but people tend to get much less wound-up about talking treatments than meds. Everything you do, experience, eat, etc changes the way your brain is - it's just another organ like the liver. ADs are just another input. They aren't dramatic either - unfortunately, they are incredibly boring, and won't make you instantly 'high' or amazingly joyful. You take pills for a few weeks, and then sometime you might notice that you feel a bit less shite than you did. Lots of people then decide that means they don't need ADs any more and were really fine all along, stop taking them, and get worse again *sigh*.

Exercise is good for mild depression, there's Proper Research saying so. but if you are considering ADs, that suggests exercise alone isn't working for you. it's not an either/or though - if you reckon that running, eating sensibly, or meditating before a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster in turquoise robes is going to help, then taking ADs doesn't stop you doing those things too.
02/10/2006 at 20:46
I wish you all the best and send loads of hugs. I've been having a really rough time lately mainly due to to roaccutane giving me the most bliddy awful side effects like depression and suicidal thoughts. My GP prescribed me sertraline, but literally 2 hours after I swallowed it, I was up all night being horrendously sick. I had to come off it straight away as I'm borderline eating disorder. That was last Wednesday when I had a major blow out. The good news is that I feel slightly better. It's unfortunate that the drug prescribed is not the one for me. I couldn't wait the couple of weeks for the side effects to pass, as I need to eat now, and the sickness and overwhelming nausea didn't help.

Limpers right, it is the depression that takes away your oomph, and I'm sure that you'll feel better when you start your meds. I know lots of people who have taken fluoxetine with no side effects.

I wish you all the best and send you lots of love.
03/10/2006 at 11:23
I was on prozac for a few years - haven't taken it now for about 6 years, so stopped well before I started running last year.

One thing that I found was that I was very aware of when my next dose should be, in the sense that I never missed a pill because I could feel myself sliding a bit when the next one was due. I found that taking it in the morning gave me the best effect, as when I took them at night, I would feel quite low by the following afternoon.

It helped a lot with getting out of bed and getting things done - a few months after starting it I came top of my year at Oxford Uni :-)

I found it quite difficult to stop taking it, but eventually was given it in liquid form, so that I could reduce the dose gradually.

The main thing is to realise, as you can see from this thread, that you're far from alone, and if you just hang in there, it will get better. A counsellor told me once to find just one good thing each day, even if it was as small as a cup of hot chocolate, and to tell myself that one good thing made each day worthwhile. May sound cheesy, but it got me through some nasty days.

Eventually I began to have days where finding the good thing was easier and easier, and after a while I realised that I didn't have to be unhappy anymore. In some ways, coming out of depression is scary too, because it becomes part of your identity, and finding a new identity without it as a defining marker can be daunting too.

I've babbled on for too long, will go off to ice my foot now.

xx
03/10/2006 at 11:30
All this is helping enormously, thank you.

Sorry I am not very articulate about my state at the moment.
03/10/2006 at 11:39
(((Stell)))
LOK
04/10/2006 at 02:04
hi stell
only just saw this thread

thinking of you

i have nothing really useful to say (as usual!!)
but can you get hubby to pull his weight with the kids, so you can get whatever time you need for yourself right now?

anyhow
i am sending some loktown sunsets and rainbows your way

mwah x

you will pull through this fog in no time

and run even faster i have no doubt

LOK
04/10/2006 at 11:59
Hello all,

thank you so much for all your wonderful support. I thought to let you all know how I am doing.

Now, my best friend here in Maidstone is a psychotherapist and, even if I have tried to avoid her in the past couple of weeks she had sussed that things werent' ok and she met me, allegedly for a tea, in truth to 'have a proper chat' - and, although it was a friendly chata rather than a therapy session, it has helped so so so much.

We have discussed my situation at lenghths, coping mechanisms and the excessive pathologisation of human experience.

This conversation, together with Duck Girl's post, has reinforced my idea to give CBT a try first and stay off fluoxetine at the moment.

I am also delighted to say that yesterday I forced myself to run on the road (I got paranoid about it in the past couple of weeks and could run only on the treadmill - I do not know if it's linked but I realised that every day I would dress as if I had an important meeting and would do the school run suited and fully made up - I think it has something to do with hiding - sorry for digressing) -

however, I nearly had a full blown panic attack at mile 2 but by mile 6 i was going really well and ended up running for 15 miles.

This morning I woke up with lots more energy than any day in the past month (sore legs though) and had a very productive morning.

I often have a big slump mid-afternoon but fortunately I work from home and decided to
take a couple of hours off to go to the gym/run then and work a bit in the evening. This has taken pressure off me getting up very early to run, which I can't do now.

In short, no fluoxetine at the moment but this decision will be revised if I have another 3 bad days an a row- a bad day can happen to anybody, 2 too but 3 are too much!

I am aware that for many of you prescriptions have helped greatly, and they have helped me in the past too, but I want to give therapy and runs a try first.

04/10/2006 at 12:02
LOK - husband pulls his weight more than anything - my depression is the result of a truly awful situation in his job - am desperate to say more but can't because of confidentiality - which makes me feel like a totally silly and selfish cow, as he is under fire and I am losing it!
04/10/2006 at 12:23
Glad to hear things are looking up for you Stellina!!

Quite often GPs are quick to prescribe antidepressant rather than go down the therapy route/CBT route and if they do refer you then it can sometimes mean a long wait til you get to the top of the list (unless you can afford it privately!) It is well documented that mild to moderate depression responds well to exercise, whether on its own or alongside antidepressant. One thing that has just occurred to me (my memory isn't always brilliant), if you still get some occasional bad days and/or anxiety and/or panic attacks that don't respond to other coping strategies you might want to consider taking a herb called St John's Wort. In Germany, this is often prescribed rather than fluoxetine. However, you will need to research possible side effects - I know of 2, photosensitivity (sensitive to light) and it can affect the working of the contraceptive pill. But there is a more natural option if you wish to try it. I have a friend who is using this after her panic attacks and anxiety got really bad and seems to be helping some. However, as with everything, medication or herbs, it doesn't work for everyone.

Sorry for the novel I've written. Keep up the good work and don't forget we are here if you need to sound off or need support or advice.

Take care and much love and loads of hugs!
CC xx
07/10/2006 at 11:32
((stellina)) stumbled across this thread. I've taken fluoetine (prozac) in the past and seroxat, but not in conjunction with running. Seroxat for 3 months but could not sleep and got hot sweats so then flouxetine for a year, weaned myself off and then took St Johns Wort for another 3 months. This was all in conjunction with seeking out help (finally). 3 years of looking at what was going on and trying to ''deal'' with it, which in reality meant falling off the wheel good and proper so to speak, trying to climb back on only to fall off again, climbing back on and then hanging on, until eventually I felt I could just about balance on this wheel and thats where I am. Did I feel myself is a very good question. To be absolutely honest I didn't really know who myself was! But it did take the edge off things and this allowed me to look more closely at what was going on for me and just about hold it together, although others might argue that this was not the case! Without it? Dunno, maybe I'd have got there anyway as I realised I needed help. But for me it helped, although at the time I was very worried about taking it.

Now the wheel wobbles every so often so I simply just jump off and close the door until it stabalises again. And finding running has helped more than I could have imagined.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Big huggles for you from Scoobs. xx
1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.