Running and pregnancy

Can I keep running?

4 messages
27/10/2008 at 10:25

I have just found out that I am pregnant and wonder whether it is safe to keep running. I have read that you should do low impact sports and obviously I won't be doing marathons at six months (!) but am I safe to run for 30 minutes a few times a week during the first 3/4 months?

This is my first pregnancy and a complete surprise so I've got no idea what's safe and what isn't...

27/10/2008 at 20:46
yes very much so,  Mrs Oxon is now 3 1/2 months or so and runs 2 - 3 times 3 - 5 miles each week coupled with spinning, basic advice is to not to increase mileage run slower and get a heart rate monitor.  Best off checking with your midfwife to get the confidence that you need
27/10/2008 at 20:58
As long as you don't have any other medical issues and are used to the running you should be fine to carry on.  I am now 29 weeks and still plodding on - just slower!
29/10/2008 at 06:17

If you feel OK then keeping running!

I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Was hoping to run until 6 months, but got a chest infection/flu type bug which laid me up for 3 weeks at the begining of pregnancy. By the time that had cleared up I was really nauseaous and just going for a gentle walk resulted in throwing up in a hedge... then they found my thyroid condition had worsened (now back in balance with more meds) - so up until this week I havent been feeling like running (or anything else much!).

I'm back to a daily brisk walk and going to buy a bigger swimming costume today - no longer fit in a size 8  for some reason!!! Have decided to plan to return to running after I've had the baby.

Take it easy - not too far or too fast!

Wisp

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.