running & asthma ?

2 messages
08/09/2002 at 22:29
A casual conversation with someone I hardly know has raised this question in my mind: could running be responsible for someone 'getting' asthma when they have no history of it? Apparently the guy has recently returned to running after a considerable absence, but a few months into it he began with breathlessness & some tightening on the chest. A couple of weeks' rest gave no development nor improvement. Then he visited his GP who told him he had asthma. Any opinions? Is there a connection, or am I making 1+1 =3?
Jim.
09/09/2002 at 15:41
I've had asthma all my life and can sympathise with anyone ...

However, the facts (as i know it): it is possible for people to develop asthma at any age. It could be that running is a trigger for the chap you mention OR (and i think more likely) running has meant he has increased his exposure to a trigger (eg pollen, cold air, thunderstorms, traffic pollution) This doesn't mean by any chance that anyone should stop running. I find the fitter I am the better my asthma is and with the correct drugs / sensible head (eg not running in cold air / during a thunderstorm as i know that triggers me) i'm as capable as anyone else.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.