Ruuner dies at Reading Half

21 to 26 of 26 messages
03/04/2012 at 15:19
PiXieLoNgStOcKiNg wrote (see)

The Bad Samaritan then. Theres people who 'will' help and  DO care for strangers and then theres people who will walk right past and don't give a stuff

That's my point - helping someone who needs help, caring for a stranger when you can actually do something useful, is valuable.

Expressing sadness at the death of a stranger is no use to anyone, won't make anything better, and the family of the deceased won't know about it anyway.

I'm not saying don't do it if that's how you feel, and it makes you feel better. We're all different.

03/04/2012 at 15:33
I thought that we, as society as a whole, are supposed to grieve for everything and everyone, which is why you see bunches of dead litter at the road-side.
03/04/2012 at 15:51
I grieve for everyone in proportion. A complete stranger gets a "oh dear how sad" I think that's completely normal
03/04/2012 at 20:15
"People give money to charities for many different reasons: because a particular charity has helped them, or someone they love, in the past and they want to give something back, or cancer charities are looking for a cure, and people feel they might need one one day."

Sorry, I don't get this Wilkie. Lots of people give to charities for many other reasons - and they are often a lot less selfish than the reasons you have listed.
04/04/2012 at 09:17
I think Wilkie implied that people give charities for other reasons when she said "people give to charities for many different reasons". In fact she didn't imply it. She said it.
04/04/2012 at 10:13
Jeremy Chapman 3 wrote (see)
"People give money to charities for many different reasons: because a particular charity has helped them, or someone they love, in the past and they want to give something back, or cancer charities are looking for a cure, and people feel they might need one one day." Sorry, I don't get this Wilkie. Lots of people give to charities for many other reasons - and they are often a lot less selfish than the reasons you have listed.

As you have quoted me correctly, you'll have noticed that I said  "People give money to charities for many different reasons", which strongly suggests more than two.

It's not meant to be an exhaustive list, just a couple of examples of less altruistic reasons that people give to charity. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.