Scottish Tablet

21 to 34 of 34 messages
21/03/2013 at 07:24

Hi Mary Kate - I'm doing brighton marathon on 14th April - yikes!!!

Enjoy hunting for your next challenge - the world's your oyster!

22/03/2013 at 17:24

The Lakeland Trails marathon gives out kendal mint cake instead of gels at the water stations. Suited me fine. I'm fairly relaxed about trying out new foods during races cause I have the belly of a goat and can stomach pretty much anything and everything. Tablet is the food of the gods and fat is indeed an ultra runner's friend. My preferred ultra fuel is now cheese sandwiches made with potato scone instead of bread. Yum!

23/03/2013 at 12:30

Aw Jelleybaby Brighton Marathon will be epic! Would love to do it myself one day, good luck and I hope all goes well for you on the day x

Hey run-with-dogs I agree, tablet is the food of the gods I am going to whip up a batch for the family at Easter. Yea your cheese sandwiches sound pretty good too, id say they would be perfect for quick refueling. And potato scone is amazeballs!

Dustboy    pirate
24/03/2013 at 12:56

OKAY! So I now want to try some Scottish Tablet!

24/03/2013 at 13:55

I'm with you Dustboy - can you recommend a good recipe Mary Kate (is it like fudge - I can make fudge!!!).

24/03/2013 at 14:02
It's pretty much just the same as fudge, but more hard and crumbly instead if squishy. The taste is very similar but it has a nicer melt-in-the-mouth texture. Can be difficult to make just right. Thorntons used to sell bags of butter tablet which were bloody gorgeous. Not the same as buying a home made slab wrapped in grease proof paper at a church fundraiser though
24/03/2013 at 18:10

http://scruss.com/tablet.html

I hope this link works but I usually follow this ladies recipe, she does add vanilla to her sugar though, iv not tried it but im sure it still tastes great. Goog God im really craving some tablet now! by the way if the link doesnt work just type scottish tablet into google, this womans recipe is one of the first to pop up i think.

25/03/2013 at 14:26

Thanks Mary Kate - I'll give it a go this weekend!  You never know it may even come to Brighton with me!

BTW - if you want to browse and consider other races to do, my son bought me this book for Christmas 'World's Ultimate Running Races' it's a lovely book to read through and dream.....one day!

26/03/2013 at 16:13

Thank you Jelleybaby I will check it out. Glad to hear you are giving the tablet a go I hope you like it

And all the best for Brighton!pop up a thread when you have completed it to let me know how you got on. Good luck!

26/03/2013 at 16:56
Check out 'lees of scotland' Scottish tablet in your local supermarket, it's excellent and I'm sure you'll find it locally to where you are.
26/03/2013 at 17:01
If you have a branch of EAT near you they sell something called 'Scottish fudge'. But it's not really fudge, it's a lot more like tablet.
26/03/2013 at 20:00

If making your own there's nothing wrong with adding some chopped up walnuts!

26/03/2013 at 20:40
Wow that sounds lovely thanks Martenkay! Got some extra time now I'm on 'taper time' for Brighton in 2 1/5 weeks!
26/03/2013 at 22:24

YUM!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.