Severe Abdominal Pains

Severe Abdominal Pains

6 messages
16/05/2012 at 16:41

Can anyone advise me on this issue with regards getting severe abdominal pains when running.

For the last I'd say 4 years or so I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain whilst running. Having really started to listen to my body, it seem to be after about 10 minutes and tends to be when my breathing starts to ease, say if I am climbing a hill and at the top, as my breathing starts to return to a slower pace, I get the most severe abdominal cramps and the only way of releasing this pain is to go to the toilet, at which point I can be sat there for about 10 minutes and I will pass a very small amount of a number 2 and after that I can run for hours on end with no issues. I tend to suffer with this more during weeks 2 and 3 of my menstrual cycle however it has started coming on in week 4.

I have had abdominal scans from the hospital and bloods taken which have all come back fine. I am due at the hospital for a consultation shortly but really wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this and what it may be?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

16/05/2012 at 16:59

Sounds like a variety of good ol' runner's trots, which remains a bit of an unsolved mystery I'm afraid. People get them - and try to prevent them - in a variety of ways (avoiding certain trigger foods which can be all sorts of things, wheat, caffeine, onions, .... other stuff ), immodium, anti-IBS meds like Buscopan or Colofac, or just doing a short run + pit stop before every run.

Good luck :/

16/05/2012 at 17:23

Hi Clare, I can relate to this, had the same problem to the point where I made sure a loo was en route after 30-45 minutes of a run. I went for a food allergy test and was shocked by the results...in summary I was mildly intolerant of things I had been eating before my runs to boost energy. Have cut them out and now I don't have the problem. Might be worth a go for you ? Best of Luck.

16/05/2012 at 17:39

This sounds remarkably similar to my symptoms before I discovered I was Gluten Intolerant. Sometimes I had so much pain I couldn't sleep at night. I would run with the most diabloical knotted cramps in my guts that sooner or later would work through the system.

The symptoms for Coeliac's Disease are very irregular and it is therefore quite hard to diagnose. But just avoiding all foodstuffs with gluten in for one week and you'll know for sure whether this is an issue or not. I felt like I won my life back when I finally worked out what had been plaguing me for years.

Good luck Claire.

17/05/2012 at 09:31

Thanks guys )  Also reading some previous advice re runners trots mentioned about being dehydrated...so I am going to ensure I drink lots and lots before embarking on my run at lunch tomorrow and see how I get on.

I did wonder before going to the doctors whether it was the runners trots you hear about but I was a bit concerned with it being so much based around my menstrual cycle....so thought its best to check it out.

Will keep you posted on the medical front and try to keep an eye on my food intake so help me pinpoint if it is something I am eating.

17/05/2012 at 10:05
Fido2Dogs wrote (see)

...doing a short run + pit stop before every run.

Yup, I was going to suggest that. If your cramps come on within 10mins and are solved by going to the loo, a quick pre-run sprint round the block a few times won't solve the overall problem but at least it'll get you sorted out and able to relax a bit more before you start your actual run. It's no fun shuffling along in agony but trying to look casual and keep your bum clamped shut at the same time and worrying how embarrassing it would be if you had to make an emergency poo-stop in front of people...

Hope you find the cause of it soon...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.