Shins AGAIN!

41 to 59 of 59 messages
02/03/2012 at 15:03
Sleepy Cat

Try 2 tennis balls strapped together - really cheap and gives a much better workout than the roller - I promise!!

Greg
02/03/2012 at 15:09

Hi Greg,

Slumpt test I looked up and I thought what have I got to do with the setting time of concrete lol But found what you meant. This is what the Doc got me to do and thats what made him decided it was  a back problem. When I done it the numbness appeared. Yeah I mean I can still run but my speed drops way down for a few miles until I shake it off and I pick up again after. I would just love to be able to run injury free because I know I can give a lot more than I am its so frustrating. Somebody mentioned the CHI running book I will have to have a look. But I'm off out for a 6 miler tomorrow I know I will have the problem but Ill grin and bare it for now

02/03/2012 at 15:30

Oooo thanks Greg.

Forgive my apparent stupidity, but strap them together how?

Do you mean tie them together in an old sock or something?

Heather

www.love-hate-runner.blogspot.com

02/03/2012 at 16:08
Use some duct tape or rigid strapping plaster, run 2 loops of tape down and around the length of the balls(as though you were going to put an elastic band around the 2), then repeat that again but with the balls turned 90 degrees. now that you have done the lengths, turn the ball sideways and do 2 very tight loops along the narrow waist/centre of the balls.

I hope that all makes sense?

Greg
02/03/2012 at 16:40

Lol I think so.

Thanks a lot Greg, will get my bum down to Sports Direct to pick up some balls

Heather

www.love-hate-runner.blogspot.com

08/03/2012 at 23:32
Mr Vicar... how are things now? Have read this thread with interest as I get numb feet/lower legs now and then... when training, I have to take my shoes off and loosen my laces at about the 3 mile mark... and then I am ok... but if your back is the issue, it may be nerve related...

How are you doing at the moment? Still running?
09/03/2012 at 06:56

Hi,

I've stopped running because after a long run thinking I can just run through it, my foot is now permanently numb Been a week and still not heard from physio. So to be fair not much has happened. Reading up on it too I'm not going to be running for a while. So instead for the next few months I've taken up long distance walking events to feed my competitiveness as walking is not a problem!

So yeah not great news and admittedley I was thinking my back was the least of my problems. I tried all sorts and spent a lot of money trying different things, lo and behold it was my back

If you got the same problem lie on your back and get somebody to lift you leg 90 degrees and see if you get tingling in your foot. Thats all the doc done to me to decided what was up

09/03/2012 at 08:54
That's not good news MrVicar. Hopefully a physio will be able to help you? Chase them down!

Be interested to hear how things progress, so hopefully you are able to update here.
09/03/2012 at 09:43
Hey TheVicar

Check out a much used test called the lumbar SLUMP test. This is a way (similar to doing the straight leg raise SLR) of seeing if there is any restriction to the movement of the nerves originating from your lower back supplying the legs.

Greg
09/03/2012 at 11:30
Tried the back thing. No numbness, so I don't think mine is back related. Also, I only get it sometimes... usually lace related for me..
19/03/2012 at 07:08

Hi all,

Got first physio appointment this friday. Seeing as my race was the day after it might be leaving it a bit late lol. However i've got back into walking and other things at moment. Got caving this weekend then a 23 mile walk next weekend then coasteering. This should take my mind off of things. Strange that I cab have an apparent back problem but I'm quite well enough to do all these other activities   However I would like to get back running even if it's just to keep fit and not compete. Nothing quite beats waking up for a run before work

19/03/2012 at 08:56
Good luck both on Friday and on race day!
23/03/2012 at 09:47
Right seen physio, good and bad news. Good news its not my back its my ass tight muscles in me bum are pressing on my sciatic nerve. I have been given 3 exercises to sort the problem. If these don't sort it within a month nothing can be done FINGERS CROSSED
23/03/2012 at 10:27
Good news if it just your butt but I don't agree with your physios possible outcome as per the last line of your post.
There is still lots that can be investigated and done.
Good luck for now
Greg
23/03/2012 at 12:50
I've had shin/knee/foot problems that are due to tight hamstrings; and trying to do too much to soon. I joined a club in 2010 and after about two months the pain started.
It's took me well over a year to be properly diagnosed; spent a fortune on new shoes, knee supports, insoles etc but what made a difference was going to into 'running rehab'. Turns out it was my technique; I was all over the place as a result of chondromalacia meaning I was moving my weight away from my bad knee which, in effect, I'd made lazy and hence short hamstrings which gave me pain in my shin.
Even though I initially tried running through the shin pain eventually my other knee and sometime the foot would go numb.
I'm now on the road to recovery but it's taking ages and just this week the pains have returned so it's back to square one, yet again.
I'd already decided not to race this season, other than club handicaps, as going too fast puts my legs under pressure. This means another year of not doing proper races, and I'm realising I'll probably never be able to do the big events I was hoping to do, mostly fell races.
But I am 46 so I know I'll never be up at the front of the field. I try though, and rarely give in, which is why I've been injured!
Edited: 23/03/2012 at 23:27
24/03/2012 at 06:47
Hello. Well sometimes the shin splints pain is due to the under-pronation or supination. feet have the attitude to base themselves outside so the pressure of your body on the floor is balanced in a not natural way. I have the some problem and I am going to buy new shows. Shoes has to be neutral and not with dynamic support( because dynamic support is for people with overpronation so if you have these shoes you can really get worse your problem) and with a double cushion.

To treat the problem
1) stretching
2) ice
3) running on the grass and not on the asphalt

It can appear like a stupid thing but for personal experience I can tell you I used the following shoes

1) Asics Gel Support and I had terrible knee pain

when I changed them with the Nike Lunarlon (neutral) the knee pain was just a memory but the shin splints pain is very very strong now. So i decided to do other for 2-4 weeks like cycling and then I will buy new shoes with double cushions , if this doesn't work I need to see a doctor.

Hope this helps, sorry about the mistakes but I am writing very quick.
27/04/2012 at 14:28

Hi all,

A few weeks down the line and the exercises seem to have worked. Just spent a week in sunny swanage and ran loads! Most i done was an 11 miler along the coast path. I also done a 5 miler on the roads too. This before would have been a no go. So it seems the exercises have fixed me for the time being. However I'm trying to do my trail running as its a lot easy on the old body. Plus I bought a road bike to use for cross training. I have entered the black death run on may 13th and would hope to do this just to finish as that would be a massive mental barrier out the way

18/05/2012 at 19:51
Hi Vicar,
I've been following your thread for a while. How are things now? Fully recovered?
03/06/2012 at 12:26

Any updates vicar?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 59 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.