Should I do the marathon?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
24/11/2012 at 11:48
RicF, I have little concern for whether people I don't even know - runners or not - 'respect' me or have contempt for me. And if I ever had, I'd probably never have started running in the first place. All I think about is whether what I'm doing makes me happy, and it does. Each to their own and all that. I could call your type of fun clown stuff, but I won't, cause that would be rude.
24/11/2012 at 11:57
Ric you seem to have a problem accepting that other people have a view
25/11/2012 at 11:17

Decision made. Thank you for all your advice, sorry I've caused such a debate. Im going to respect the distance and not run the marathon, if I can downgrade I will do. I do not want to risk any further injury and I'm so not fit enough now. I'm concentrating on London and hopefully I can do a respectable time rather than desperately trying to just finish it. Im completely going to change my training as I have been picking up injuries continually, achilles, torn calf etc. Thanks again.

03/12/2012 at 18:35

Wise decision Lauraine. Doing the marathon in your state would have been stupidity.

At best you'd have probably crawled to a death march near the end, making it a miserable experience and at worst you'd have put yourself out for any length of time, dependent on how stupid/stubborn you decided to be on the day.

There's always another race. Any serious runner who cares about their future running health knows that.

03/12/2012 at 19:53

i'd gently prepare for VLM if i were u

best wishes always

Mick  

03/12/2012 at 20:28
Gosh, you don't come on here for a few weeks only to find when you do return the friendly banter still goes on!

Lauraine - very wise decision. A sensible one. Perfect that you're also going to look at your training and figure out why you got the injuries.hopefully that will prevent you from getting further ones. All the best for VLM.

I did my marathon woefully undertrained and loved the first 8 miles, but hated myself for putting me through the rest of the very very long race. And I now just HAVE to do another marathon as it feels so unsatisfactory doing so badly at the first attempt. Never will I do a marathon undertrained again. And I have a high pain threshold. But each to their own, if other people call that a fun day out, then who am I to say they are crazy!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.