side of knee pain

5 messages
16/11/2002 at 08:04
Aaagh! I was quite happy with my training, running about 25 miles per week for 6 months or so. I ran the Taunton half marathon and then the GWR Half marathon with no problems. A few weeks afterwards I started getting a pain in the outside of my knee while I was out training. When I stopped running the pain subsided, but came back when I restarted running. I have rested it and been to a couple of physios who seem to think that it is ITBS. I have been given strengthening and stretching to do, but now I still cannot run more than 3 miles before this pain starts again. It is in the outside lower part of my knee and if I try to run through it, the pain becomes very sharp! It's been nearly 6 months since I ran properly. I can play football and volleyball etc no problem.
I don't think that the physios are getting to the root cause - could I be 'out of alignment' somehow which is causing this pain ? Please HELLLLPP!!
Jerry
16/11/2002 at 12:34
My heart always sinks when I see thread titles like that. :-(

Classic ITBS, I'd say. Unfortunately.
Strengthening and stretching are fine, but if you don't sort out your running gait, they'll be fairly ineffective in the long term. So, yes, I do think you're 'out of alignment'. I suggest getting your gait analysed by a podiatrist or a running shop with treadmill video analysis. You may (like me) need extra support in the arch area, or somewhere else. If they can't fit a suitable running shoe, you can get custom inserts (orthotics) made to fit in a neutral shoe.

Finally, I got ITBS in March last year (17th - St Pat's day!), and have come back twice unsuccessfully, but I think it's third time lucky now I'm in the proper shoes (and seeing a sports physio who's had ITBS herself). So be very patient (I know it's hard) and REST when you can. If you run with pain , you're causing damage.

Best of luck with it. You CAN beat it. I think!

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert, just a sufferer.
OB
17/11/2002 at 14:22
I've just arrived at the same point. Acouple weeks agon running New York I had the problem at 10 miles and ran/walked the next 16. No problems when I stopped or walked but a lot of pain when I restarted. I've had a complete break for 2 weeks and done a lot of stretching and went for my first run this morning. Al was fine until about 4 miles when the knee tightened to the point of making me stop.

Sounds as though a visit to a proper running shop is the first step.
17/11/2002 at 21:11
ITBS, yeah, agree with swerve. Also a sufferer. Gait analysis would be good, but get to a podiatrist and have things checked.
OB
17/11/2002 at 23:07
thanks guys

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.