Sore calfs / ache in lower left leg / weak leg / beginner runner

1 message
30/12/2013 at 18:29

I'm looking for a little advice being a newbie runner.

I have been trying to get fit after a long illness and joined a gym about 18 months ago. I regularly walked 3.5km on the treadmill but decided April this year that I was fit enough to run a little. I could manage about 5min.

Everything went well for a few weeks but then I started getting pains in my left leg during the run - a shooting pain up the front of my shin which would subside when I stopped but I would spend the rest of the day with my left leg feeling weak and the back of my lower left leg aching / feeling like I had trapped a nerve. I can't quite describe it.

I don't seem to get this all the time.

Today I decided to try running again for the first time in 2 months. I want to try and complete the C25K plan. I went to a professional running shop and got fitted for running shoes And the confirmed I had a pronation in my left foot. I got trainers to help with that..

So I headed back to the gym with my new trainers and all was going well with day 1 of the programme and the pain started about 20min into it. It was a 30min prog of walking with 8min of running in total.

I finished the programme about 3hours ago now. My right leg is super ok whilst the back of my left leg aches and feels weak.

I don't think it is shin splints ? Perhaps it is just my muscles working and perhaps with time now that I have the right running shoes it will stop. I am meant to be trying day 2 of prog in 2 days.

I'm the right weight for my height and just want to get fit.

Thanks if you have got this far - any suggestions welcome.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.