Sports injury insurance

Advice needed

12 messages
04/03/2008 at 13:45
I am looking to take out some sports injury insurance, I have been thinking about it for a while and after seeing Eduardo's injury the other weekend I have decided that its definately time! I am looking for cover for Running(1/2 marathons possibly full by end of 2008!) Cycling(London to Brighton 2008) and playing Football (5 aside and Sunday League). I have been looking on line and there are so many to choose from and the prices vary so much! I was hoping someone out there has had a possitive experience with one? If so please can you let me who?
04/03/2008 at 14:19

http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/index.html

They do football cover and cover distance events. Also think about income protection. What is it that you want to insure against? Loss of earnings? Rehabilitiaiton bills? Hospital cover?

Always know what you want covered and does that product match it or be covered with a range of products.

04/03/2008 at 14:29
also take a look at

www.dogtag.co.uk

and

www.snowcard.co.uk

I've had an annual policy with Snowcard for a number of years as we do a fair bit of mountain sports (ski touring, mountaineering, mountain biking) but it also covers me for triathlon (up to Ironman - had to get that endorsed) and road biking events.........only had to use it once (broke my jaw skiing and needed a chopper off the mountain) and they were excellent so they'd get my business every time........

Dogtag looked promising at renewal time recently but I have a declared medical condition which would have shot the premium up with them but Snowcard (who are aware of it as I declared it at the time it happened) are happy to cover me with no extra premium. So Snowcard it is again
04/03/2008 at 15:53

STT I was looking for income support mainly but rehabilation cost as well really. I had already got a quote from sports cover direct which I thought was a very good price but just wanted to know whether people had any good or bad experience with them or any other company?

Thanks as well fb but those look like mainly overseas cover, am planning on going sking spring 2009 so will definately come in handy then thanks.

04/03/2008 at 16:21

Define "bad" or "good" experience?

We hear of horror stories about insurance not paying out etc but this is either the applicant lieing(or not understanding what needed to be disclosed) or the applicant not understanding what the product does.

Income protection can be come via standard income protection policys from main stream insurance companys. They tend not to quibble over "sport injuries" as such.

Money from rehab would be covered by sports cover products but it depends on the severity of the injury and linked to an injury. Are you going to claim for a small ankle strain? Would you be covered for having a heart attack in the middle of 1/2 mara? Sorry I underwrtire insurance as my job.

Check the clauses and what info you need to supply to the company and you can't go far wrong.

05/03/2008 at 08:13

STT when I say good or bad experience I mean the company paying out quickly and not looking for stupid reasons for not paying out. I wouldn't claim for a sprained ankle and anything trivial(I'm know when you have injuries like this they don't feel trivial!). I am looking for boken bones or serious ligament or muscle injuries e.t.c

I'm doing the London to Brigton bike ride this year and have heard some horror stories of collisions causing serious injury. I've also played in two different football games this year where players have broken their leg! I've even split my head open playing football myself, missed the ball and caught the player! extremely stupid and painfull! 4 hours in A&E and 9 stitches later (wouldn't have needed to claim for this as only had 3 days off work)

Thanks for the advice.

05/03/2008 at 08:21

I'm doing the London to Brigton bike ride this year and have heard some horror stories of collisions causing serious injury

I suggest you read a thread on Tri talk about that. Not london to brigton but about group riding.

Again with paying out. Good clean information helps the insurance company(using industy BS here) "Pay the right claim at the right time" the public forget we are not mind readers! We need information to tell what the hell happened. The above company as far as I'm aware has no fudged payouts agaist it..

BTW.........give the football up, rugby is the mans game

05/03/2008 at 08:57
I used to love playing Rugby but I am a salesman and black eyes and cuts don't look too good! Also injured my back miss timing a tackle(I was 11st and he was about 18st!) when I was 20 and still have problems with it now, So no contact sports for me!
05/03/2008 at 09:10
LOL know what you mean. I had to give up for neuro reasons.
05/03/2008 at 09:23
I played rugby for 30 years and never had insurance - and I was also in sales during most of that time. I found a good black eye/stitches was often a good door opener with customers..........and as a prop that was a regular event

my worst was after we'd set up our own biz and we had a week's exhibition coming up - I took a couple of punches from a 2nd row in a lineout and the bastard was wearing (illegally) a ring.......2 huge black eyes and split nose and forehad which needed 7 stitches. I looked a right sight but could do nothing bar wearing dark glasses all week - we did great business as people stopped to ask why!!

don't worry about the L2B bike ride causing any serious problems (I assume it's the charity one) as you'll generally be going so slowly in the main packs of 30000+ riders that it won't be an issue

my view is simple - if you go into sport trying to defend against injury you will get hurt more

I only have insurance 'cos of my mountain sports as rescue costs an overseas treatment costs can be enormous - it just so happens my Snowcard policy covers me for all the other daft things I do which is a bonus........

saying that - my missus and I had a big crash on a MTB holiday in Thailand needing hospital treatment (she broke 3 ribs) but the costs were so amazingly low it was cheaper to pay up than use the insurance!!! cost us about £16 for everything

05/03/2008 at 09:50

As tempting as it is to play again fb my mrs certainly wouln't agree, she worries about me playing Football she would go mad if I started playing Rugby again. I don't think I could cope with the bruising and stiffness on a Monday morning either.

I'm 26 and have thankfully avoided any serious injury so far but think that now might be the time to protect myself just incase. I am in the process of buying my first house and need a way to pay the bills if something happens.

05/03/2008 at 10:14

my view is simple - if you go into sport trying to defend against injury you will get hurt more

Ah yes peeps being "ridgid" and uptight on MTBs hitting tree roots is my favourite

Plodding 26 and the miss stopping you play rugby..........do it! I will when im 12 months clear of my problems.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.