Stomach cramps

2 messages
26/06/2013 at 22:36

i keep getting stomach cramps after long runs. I started running in January of this year and found it very enjoyable I started off slow doing 1.5 miles and gradually have built up To 6k by march throughout building up to 6k I didn't have any problems with stomach cramps. I then carried on building mileage and decide to train for a marathon for next year, I'm following a very easy plan which requires a long run once a week on a Sunday. Ever since building mileage past 4 miles I get very bad stomach cramps after running, I always end up running to the toilet 3-4 times but it's always Normal they are not loose or anything. The cramps are similar to the cramps u get when u have diarrhea. I don't get any pain whilst running always happens after, I sometimes get wind pains whilst running but they soon pass. I recently joined a running club but I feel unable to continue going as I always get pains after long runs. I make sure I drink enough throughout the day so I'm well hydrated. I'm feeling very disheartened at the moment as I really enjoy running but actually am starting to hate going because I get pain. I'm a 22 year old female and I'm in my ideal weight range, as a young child from ages 5 year - 7 years I had IBS but i haven't been affected since, could it be this? I'm really looking for some advice please, I am considering going to the doctors but just feel silly going about something which wouldn't be happening if I wasn't to go running. I have a 1/2 marathon booked in a couple if weeks and would really like to be able to do it but currently I feel unable to. 

Any advice much appreciated 

27/06/2013 at 15:03

Forgot to add that the pain usually lasts 2-3 hours after running. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.