Stomach pain.

5 messages
27/11/2012 at 17:28

Hi

I'm new to this site, just joined so that I could ask a group of runners some advice, hopefully..

I used to run quite a bit a couple of years ago, every other day, I think, however, whilst running I would have terrible stomach pain, not just your average stitch, but pain all across, and my stomach would make these weird gurgling noises as if there was a packet, almost, of water jumping around inside my stomach.. Very weird. I started running again last Friday, and it continued.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so whether you have any suggestions as to what I should do/avoid before running, etc.

Many thanks,

Nicole.

28/11/2012 at 15:22

Nicole, Can sympathise with you - it's not pleasant at all & can be embarrassing. Have you suffered from stomach problems before or is it just running which causes it?

Your symptoms sound a bit like IBS & running can sometimes exacerbate the condition. It's worth reviewing your pre-run diet and fluid intake. Certain things including wheat, dairy and caffeine can act as a trigger. Stress causes my symptoms to flare rather than diet, so when I approach training runs and races more relaxed I tend to have less stomach pain and perform better. As for things which make it better I've not really had much joy after 15 years of experimenting with diet & altering things like the time of day I trained. Hopefully other respondents can help with this!

One thing I will say is don't worry - you are not alone. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who have experienced this. Hope you find a solution soon

28/11/2012 at 15:31

Ah thank you for replying I do get the pain at other times, sometimes it's just a stabbing pain when I'm not even moving, and it used to hurt on ocassion whilst just walking, so much so that I would double over in pain.

The doctors mentioned IBS, however didn't sound very convincing and haven't helped alleviate anything in all this time, hence why I joined the forum. I shall try experimenting, I don't eat dairy as it is, therefore I don't think that's the problem.

I do often feel very stressed before running actually, I'm not sure why, it's just the thought of it I think, so will try relax more now, and I'm sorry you've had to suffer too!

Thank you so much for your help and comments

28/11/2012 at 16:38

Ahhh - definitely sounds like IBS then. My GP prescribed medication but it doesnt seem to work. I do take immodium before certain races though.

does sound like stress might be the cause of your ibs too. In fact it's like a vicious circle...the only time I'm 100% symptom free is on holiday...I run as I feel & basically don't care if I only plod for 10 minutes. Cant afford to do that when training for a half marathon though!

Hope it improves soon. Maybe try training at a different time of day, see if that helps. good luck!

28/11/2012 at 16:46

Ah okay, same here, I got given tablets, but they didn't change anything.

Aw that's a shame. It's good that you can ignore it enough to do a half marathon though

Thank you!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.