Strained hamstring

Cross training and rest (hiow much rest?

4 messages
26/12/2002 at 21:53
After suffering from occasional tightness in my left hamstring whilst running for the last 2 or 3 weeks , (despite warming up, stretching etc) it became more painful and frequent during my run on Christmas eve. I have now decided to substitute cycling for running for the time being. Anyone have any idea how long I need to avoid running for? I think the strain was caused by over ambitious speed work.
26/12/2002 at 22:04
Be careful with the cycling - you could do further damage.
Use easy gears and "spin" - don't try to grind out big gears on hills.
Good luck with your recovery.
27/12/2002 at 00:16
Yep, I've been doing stationary biking in the gym at fast 90-110 revs.I find it hard to get my pulse rate up to running levels doing this however. I don't want to substitute a quad or knee injury for a hamstring!
Cornish Ironman; Do you place much value on hill reps using an outside bike for running training (especially hill running?)Cycling seems to be totally "hamstring pain free" so I wondered about doing some hill reps on the bike (again in lowish gears but going quite fast).
27/12/2002 at 17:14
I think that riding hills helps build up strength in the Quads which should ultimately help with running.
I try to ride hills in the saddle and not stand up unless absolutely necessary.
What you are suggesting would be a good aerobic work out (wear a heart monitor and watch the reading rise!)
I don't do specific hill sessions on the bike, but know some people that do.
That said I do hill reps (running) on the sand dunes near where I live.

Paul.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.