Stress Fracture Advice

3 messages
15/02/2014 at 06:06

Hey,

Looking for a little advice. I got a stress fracture above my ankle on the inside of my leg last August and stopped running for a few months. The doctor said it wasn't that severe of a fracture and should only take a few months to heal. I ran a little during November, but took all of December off. After running about 20 miles in January, I pressed on the spot where the stress fracture was and I felt a little pain. Nothing too bad, but I stopped running since. I'm anxious to get back out there, but don't want to risk having to wear a boot again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, 

17/02/2014 at 11:58
Hi Drew

I have had three stress fractures. Metatarsals right foot (out for 9 months), left foot (out for 6 months) and the lesser trochanter which is part of the femur (out for 3 months but caught it early)

They are all different and depending on location can take a long time to heal. The bone should be healed by now, provided it had enough rest. I experienced pain and discomfort when I returned to running after each of my fractures. This pain / discomfort can continue for quite a few months. I sometimes still 'feel' these SF's and I had the last one two years ago.

I found this site very informative, especially as it is basically a blog by an elite runner who did a thesis on bone recovery.
www.camilleherron.com/?s=stress+fractures
17/02/2014 at 19:48

I often recommend Exogen for fractures, particularly those that show delayed healing or non union. www.hirelipus.co.uk

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.