Stress Fracture

1 message
01/02/2013 at 13:45

I twisted my ankle between Christmas and New Year, followed RICE, rested for over 2 weeks. Thought it felt ok to try and run on, so then ran on the road for 2 wks without any pain. Then when I was on my treadmill had excrutiating pain in my heel. After visitng GP went for an x-ray and this is where my problems really begin!

The radiologist said I had a stress fracture and took me round to A&E, the nurse practioner said neither he or his colleagues could see anything. He went to talk to consultant and they decided there was a stress fracture (he even showed me the x-ray on the computer, so I've seen the crack). Had a referral to the fracture clinic this week and the surgeon says he can't see anything on the x-ray! Now I have to wait until next Friday for an MRI scan.

I have a place for the Brighton Marathon in April and also another 4 marathons planned this year.

Getting frustrated as doctors can't seem to agree if I have a fracture or not, also not really been given much advice on how to deal with it or how long it might take to heal or till I can run again. Have got crutches and considering doing my planned races with them!

Any one else had this? is it normal for things to be so wishy-washy? from your experiences how long should I be prepared to be out of action for?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.