stress fractures

, Q+A: How should I tackle my first marathon?

7 messages
09/02/2007 at 15:07
Have been told by my consultant that if (not diagnosed as yet) i have a sf I could still run the mararthon (I am raising money for charity)I might otherwise have tibia fasciitis.
Can this be true?
09/02/2007 at 15:08
ps it is my second marathon
09/02/2007 at 16:53
which marathon? when? which stress fracture?
09/02/2007 at 17:41
london, april, tibia or fibula (not known)
09/02/2007 at 20:28
Hmmm - that's going to be touch and go I think. You'll probably be recovered by then, but the training in the meantime will be your problem - basically a stress fracture will only heal with rest and you're looking at most of the 10 weeks until FLM until you're comfortable, especially if it's your tibia which is the load-bearing one.

So - yes, you probably will be able to run in London, but not as well as if you didn't have it and could train fully.

My advice - book another marathon for may/june, take all pressure off yourself, enjoy London and use it as a long training run. Then go for the later one more seriously.

Best of luck Amanda
09/02/2007 at 22:05
Thanks for the advice. I have more or less decided to defer to next year if I get diagnosed with the fracture. I want to enjoy the run!
I am hoping for a lesser diagnosis of tibia fasciitis and then I will definitely run.
25/02/2007 at 20:00
i have just entered my first marathon the white peak marathon on 19th may. I am currently running around about 35 miles a week. Is this enough of what i should be attempting my first marathon. I ran 20miles yesterday in about 2 hours 40.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.