Sudden Heal Pain ????

21 to 27 of 27 messages
14/03/2011 at 11:04

ive had an XRay thats given the all clear for anything bone related. Now got an appointment with the Podiatrist on friday to see what he says. Im still suffering with pain in a very precise area, not just all over,  although still got inflamation that wont clear up either.

Managed 2 mile on the treadmill although it still didnt feel right but the pain didnt get any worse, dont know whether thats a good or bad thing??

15/03/2011 at 22:07

I wonder if you could offer me some guidance? I have been training for Brighton Marathon (10th April) and have reached 21 mile mark some weeks ago. About 3 weeks back, I came home from my long run in agony. I haven't run since. Saw Doctor last week who says it is PF, and have given me some strong anti-inflamms, I have been icing, stretching and tennis ball foot rolling which have all eased  the pain.  I am now able to walk comfortably on my foot, but running is still a no go.

It is only 3 weeks to the marathon, I haven't done any running for the last 3 weeks, I have cross trained hard to keep my fitness up. I am now coming to accept that my training will have to go to waste as I do not think it would be wise to just run 26 miles on it even if it does feel healed.  I would be worried I could do some long term damage.

What do you think?

Helen

16/03/2011 at 08:16
Hi Helen

I am in exactly the same situation as yourself,
I have got to a stage where when im walking I cant even feel any pain what so ever but as soon as I start to run the pain appears then takes a few days to stop hurting again. The only advice ive had is to deal with it and gradually it will get better over time. TIME being the operative word. My physio is very talented and I trust her every word as she has sorted me out in the past where other physio's have just wasted my money so I trust her when she says just do the stretching and rolling, although she has recommended I fill a plastic coke bottle with water a freeze it and use this for the rolling. Do this for 30 mins a day. This has got me walking with Zero pain but running is still a no no.
She says its just down to you and how quickly you heal! every body is different but there really is no other fix for this.
Bryan
16/03/2011 at 09:34

Hi Helen,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, (also lost a few weeks training in Jan with separate injury). I'm deferring my marathon place this year (also on 10th April) - not an easy decision to make. On what you've said, it may be best to defer - especially if you're aiming for a time. Not worth the risk of making the injury worse.....Think only you can decide what is best though.

BB - I'm going to take a leaf out of your book & try the iced bottle treatment. Have you been given any particular stretches by your physio? The foot pain I have is towards the right side of my R foot, so dont think it is PF, but the degree of pain is similar - I'm treating it it with Ice & rest. Can now walk painfree. Itching to run as weather is so lovely, but going to leave it another week to be on safe side.

Would be interested to hear how you all get on with returning to running & what you found helped. Cheers!

16/03/2011 at 09:59

Ditto. I've been easily banging out 50 miles a week and feeling fitter than I've ever felt in my life. But I've had a bit of pain in my left heel which has just been diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis.

My physio, who I like very much and trust implicitly, said I shouldn't worry about it, and that it's not as bad as all the internet sites make out. He said it should ease off now as I taper and there's no reason why it should interfere with my training or marathon, particularly as it eases when I run. He says it takes months to get really bad and that as long as I rest for a few weeks after the marathon it'll clear up by itself.

But this morning it's the worst it's been. I'm hobbling around like an old man. And a quick Google search tells me encouragingly that it should get better in 6-9 months, and only if I'm unlucky will it take 2 years........ SIX TO NINE MONTHS!!!!!!!! TWO YEARS!!!!! ARE YOU HAVING A ******* LAUGH????? I'd go out of my mind if I had to stop for 6-9 days!!! 

Who's right, my physio or the internet geeks?

Depressed of Brighton

16/03/2011 at 10:06

Physio....any day!

I had PF during a marathon build up. Under my physios advice, I had 10 days rest, did strengthening exercises and started using orthotics. It did the trick.

I use orthotics in all my shoes now and it hasn't affected me in the 7 years since.

16/03/2011 at 11:37
Brighton, I guess your physio has never had plantar him/herself.

My physio has and she knows how painful it can be, like I said when I walk there is no pain (thanks to her advice) but as soon as I push off to run POP there its goes, It feels like imagine having stitches on a cut and just before it heels pull the stitches out and open the cut. Its literally that painful for me. I mentioned the same website to my physio and her remark was that they have to give you a worse case scenario. It really can take that long. She also advises cycling to keep the fitness up while it heels.
The stretches she advises are rear leg stretches ie calf and hamstring as this is usually caused by the tightening of these.
Bryan

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.