Sudden Knee Issue

12 messages
Wej
05/09/2011 at 21:06
Weird one this. Been running for a few years and never had any serious injuries before (worst was a calf strain in my first few months of running) but over the last 3/4 months I've been running less and the distance I've run has also reduced. Last weekend I felt really good and ran 8 miles (usually do 3 or 4) and everything went really well.

Roll on to the next day, and I wake up with sharp pain down the outside of my left knee, particularly bad when going downstairs, not too painful on the flat.

I've spent a week taking it easy - resting a few days, trying a short, slow run and then resting if there's been a twinge and the trouble is, it's not getting any better. Do I continue with this policy, rest completely for say a week (or even two) or consult a doctor? Anyone know what sort of injury a short pain on the outside of the knee is?

Help/advice gratefully appreciated.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
05/09/2011 at 21:11
You need to get to a physio for a sure diagnosis but sounds like ITBS. Deep tissue massage normally is the only thing that sorts it out for me if it gets really inflamed but a foam roller normally keeps the symptoms away
Wej
06/09/2011 at 09:59
Yes, after reading up on ITBS it does seem likely. A bit disappointed after being injury free for so long, but my mileage has slipped as has my routine of cool-down and stretching, so that sudden increase to 8 miles has probably done it.

Any ideas where to get a foam roller without ordering online. Was checking Decathlon but it's not listed in their products. Anyone got one from a high street store cheap?
06/09/2011 at 10:16
Hi Wej

It sounds like what I'm going through, ITBS. Sorry to put a downer but it's been 7 weeks I have been injured for. But yours may be easy to recognize what is causing your ITBS.

I bought my foam roller off Amazon, the blue on, but for me personally it didn't do much as I still have a lot of scar tissue. So now rolling on a hard candle, owie!

Wej
06/09/2011 at 10:30
Ooh, I have hard candles (sounds like a surreal version of the old Two Ronnies joke!) so I may try that. Or a rolling pin.
06/09/2011 at 10:40

It also sounds like an injury I had, which isn't ITBS. If there is any numbness around the knee (as well as the pain - if that makes sense), you might have tweaked the peroneal nerve which runs down the outside of the knee. If so, some stretches and gentle massage sorted mine out.

The stretches were firstly, while sitting on a chair, place your foot in a position, off the ground, a bit like you were twisting your ankle, and rotate your ankle round inwards as far as is comfortable. Secondly, with a standing up, straighten the painful leg, with the foot on the ground, and bend the other leg to tense the painful one. Then lift your arms above your head, and throw them forward and down - this gives a bit more dynamic tension in the tensed leg. These help, but the massage (which I did myself) was simply rubbing the numbed area. Sorted itself out, and my physio said not to stop running at all.

06/09/2011 at 10:56
It'll hurt to start with so I wouldn't put all your weight on it at first. You might come across some bumps which I usually spend about 30 seconds on mine to break down the adhesion, but then again this might not be your case.
06/09/2011 at 12:00

It could be a mystery ache that will clear up with the usual rest. Give it a week, then get yourself to a doc. It sounds like it could be ITBS (Runners Knee) so you should get physio and buy a foam roller to help stretch after runs, they're magic. When you get runing again try not to get carried away and go for a full on 8 miles if you usually run 3 or 4. Just add a mile on until you feel comfortable that your fixed knee can handle it.

P.s - Don't let the doctor fob you off with pain killers and rest if you're not completely happy with what they tell you, in my experience some doctors are far from sympathetic to runners. 

Good Luck

Wej
06/09/2011 at 12:41
Yes, my experience of doctors has been similar - a lot say "Stop running" (i.e. give up running) and they don't get a second visit.

Finding foam rollers really expensive to buy - seems stupid since it's just a bit of foam. Wondering whether pipe lagging will work as well...
06/09/2011 at 13:37
No - pipe lagging won't work - the foam rollers are REALLY dense foam: hence the joyful pain you get using them!
06/09/2011 at 17:38
The trigger point foam roller looks like a beast. I'd like to purchase that but can't afford it.

Yes, agree with first looser regarding the Dr's. No disrespect to them but most don't specialize in running injuries so aren't sympathetic, which I found a couple of weeks back! The one said "do you have to run"

Have you tried strengthening exercises, because I have read that ITBS could be down to muscle imbalances with the quads/glutes.

Sorry, I could overwhelm you with info as I have been obsessed with trying to over come this injury, I wish I had the help as soon as my pain started.
07/09/2011 at 11:03

Having read this it confirms by IT B issue is back.  Thankfully have a foam roller and it works so well the only problem is keeping using it even when there is no pain.

This for me could not have come at a worst time, marathon 2 week Sunday

Hope it clears up soon for you Wej

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.