sugar free me - again

Anyone want to join me?

1 to 20 of 104 messages
14/07/2007 at 07:22
About a year ago there was a long running thread for those who were trying to do without the white death crystals.

I am about to go into cold turkey again - do you want to join me?

Essentially I find it difficult to deal with the highs and lows of eating sweet stuff, so I've decided to forgo all sugar and foods with added sugar.

For a week to start with.
14/07/2007 at 07:49
hey, would really like to do this but think i'd struggle.

Besides things like not putting sugar in my tea and not having sweet foods, what else would i avoid?
14/07/2007 at 07:58
dgw - come on in and do the best you can

I think you've summed it up really - I am going to try and avoid the hidden sugars too - a bit of label reading needed for that e.g. breakfast cereals that are not sugar coated but still have sugar in them such as branflakes

I think I'll be eating plenty of fruit!
14/07/2007 at 08:03
beanz52- would love to join in and for many years went without a weekly fix of the white stuff. however recently have rediscovered sweet tooth so not sure i could last a week without it. good luck though
14/07/2007 at 08:06
ok, but not off to a good start...had a cup of tea with half a tea spoon of sugar and then porridge with the sweeetened soya milk!!

i'll try not to have anything else today and then start properly tomorrow morning!

i did go out for dinner last night though and not have a pudding!
14/07/2007 at 08:10
welcome on board dgw :>)
14/07/2007 at 08:17
thanks, i'm hoping that the fact that i will be posting on here may help me!
K9
14/07/2007 at 08:29
blimey - I know I couldn't last a single day.

Have already had a big bowl of muesli/yoghurt with honey over, and 2 chocolate biscuits - and it's not even 9 o'clock!

One day I'll be brave enough to fight the addiction.

Good luck Beanz!!
14/07/2007 at 08:37
i need to knock te white stuff on the head. I can drink tea and coffee without...just need to avoid the sweetie bag and chocolate!!
14/07/2007 at 08:51
changed to brown and cut down to 1 instead of 2 in tea and coffee (always did check labels anyway so no change there) - that's as saintly as I'm gonna get!
14/07/2007 at 10:07
Ooh that would be such a challenge for me, Beanz.

I don't have sugar in tea and I don't have a pudding after my dinner.. but I like going out for tea and cake so that would be tough.

And I keep the occasional chocolate bar in for medical emergencies...
14/07/2007 at 11:03
Hi All,

At the start of April I stopped eating cakes, crisps, sweets, ice cream and biscuits and pretty much cracked it right away, I have an urge every now and then but find it east to resist.

I haven't eaten chocolate for 6 years or drunk fizzy drinks for about 2-3 years. I don't drink tea/coffee and never put sugar on cereal, I eat it without milk and it'd just end up at the bottom of the bowl. I do put a blob of jam in my porridge though.

I substituted honey nut cornflakes for all the snacky things. I don't know if these are as bad as any of the things I've given up but surely they've got to be a bit more nutritious and less fatty.

My only real concession is the occasional iced bun and I don't deny myself a visit to the chippy.

Good luck.
14/07/2007 at 11:08
Can I join in too? been battling my sweet tooth for years and it is the prime reason my weight yo yo's so much

I don't do sugar in my coffee or on cereal, and I tend to stick to all bran, oatbakes or weetabix (porridge in winter) can I have sweetener tho? or is that banned?

Marshallini 6 yrs without chocolate? god god that's some achievement! don't think I could manage 6 days...
14/07/2007 at 11:18
tea and cake will be my biggest problem...i've never drunk fizzy drinks so thats ok

...also, what about on long runs? i usually have ribena if i'm going over an hour...don't think i'd get round without it!
14/07/2007 at 12:34
I don't take anything out for long runs(2:30 hr+)unless it's really hot and I used to have Aldi's own isotonic drink but I've just had a dodgy pack, which I returned, so I'm not using that anymore luckily the weathers been rubbish, but when it brightens up I'll go with diluted pure orange I think.
14/07/2007 at 14:15
Thanks for all the support

I don't have sugar in tea/coffee, don't often have a pud at home, don't drink fizzy drinks and very infrequent alcohol

but do get tempted by the biscuits in the tin, the bars there for the teenbeanzes' lunch boxes and the chocolate at the petrol station - and anyting else that I can think of to tempt me sometimes!

marshallini - did you feel better for all that abstinence? (I hope the answer is yes!)

so far so good today
14/07/2007 at 20:59
Beanz, I feel a lot better and have lost over a stone without an increase in training.

I don't drink alcohol either.

Keep it up.
14/07/2007 at 23:11
thanks marshallini
15/07/2007 at 10:57
Day 1 completed

I was making jam yesterday evening, so did have a taste, but apart from that I successfully avoided the white stuff.

How about you DGW?
15/07/2007 at 13:36
hey, doing quite well. After i signed up i had wholemeal toast with organic peanut butter (checked or no added sugar!) and then chicken & veg stirfry.

This morning i have had a banana and poached egg on toast. So far i have resisted chocolate last night and biscuits at my dad's this morning. Also i've had 2 cups of tea with no sugar!

About to have a lamb dinner now so need to resist pudding after but i think its meringue which is pretty much just sugar so definitely none of that for me...i've spied some strawberries so i'll go for those.

It definitely helps having to post on here...if i'd just decided to do this myself i would have given up by now!

Good going beanz...i would find jam hard to resist, we made a big batch the other week and ate jam tarts all week! No more of that for me!
1 to 20 of 104 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.