THE BENCH

For all injured peeps to hang out...

2,581 to 2,591 of 2,591 messages
29/01/2009 at 13:15

Yippee !

First pain free run last night since Christmas when I hurt my achilles. I've been working on the stretches since then and they seem to have worked. Only did 5km on my treadmill but that's 5 more than I could have managed a week or two ago.

30/01/2009 at 09:41
Thanks Ruby for your words of encouragement. Feeling better now, it was the fact that pilates hurt me when I'd modified any stretch I shouldn't do and did my rehab stuff instead which really pi55ed me off. Seeing new physio today .... Well done on your bike ride, even 3 min on the treddie is better than nothing!!
26/03/2009 at 09:32
Quick update, took the new hip over to Connemara for it,s first outing.I walked the half marathon in 3.56.45 which is 1.04.11 quicker than my last one,no after effects so the hip seems to be working ok. The surgeon would prefer me to wait 10 months post op before I run so I,m going to walk a few more halves over the summer and get some miles in on the bike, then I may give Dublin a try.
03/10/2009 at 09:28

It,s been ten months since I got the hip resurfaced and I,m going out for my first run tomorrow.

I,ve entered the Dublin marathon so hopefully three weeks training will see me round.I,ll be using the walk/jog method,but it may be twenty six miles walking followed by a sprint finish. Looks like I,m finally getting off the bench after two years and ten months.

03/10/2009 at 10:24
Yay Jim, that's good news! How is the hip feeling?
03/10/2009 at 16:00

Hurrah Jim, that's fab! Enjoy Dublin.

I can't remember when I last posted on here but my injury was *finally* diagnosed as pes anserine bursitis at the beginning of March and all I needed was a steroid injection to clear it up and I was off again! A very frustrating 6 months of all manner of scans but there you go.

2 years and 10 months is an incredibly long time to be patient Jim, really admire you for waiting so long and I bet you can't wait for you first run! Hope it goes well, I guess you might be back now?

I'm doing my first marathon since my injury in 7 weeks, Newcastle Town Moor, can't wait!

04/10/2009 at 17:17

Hi  Siance,  the hip feels good,leg length is ok which was one of my worries before the op.

Tutu good that you are injury free,enjoy your marathon.

Went for my run this morning, it was a bit fresh but very sunny.I was hoping to run for ten minutes as I wasn,t sure how I would feel after such a long lay off. I managed to keep going for twenty five minutes followed by forty five minutes of jog/walk.I actually think I might just manage to finish in Dublin.I didn,t really realise how much I had missed running until today.I just can,t believe how good it felt to be out running and to feel " normal " again.

04/10/2009 at 17:48

Jim - absolutely fantastic!!

Really pleased for you, I'm amazed you could do so much, that's brilliant. My first run after 6 months was a very slow and painful 20 mins which felt like 20 miles.. but huge sense of euphoria even so, and sounds like you must have felt the same!

28/10/2009 at 07:36
Well I got round Dublin, common sense prevailed and I resisted the temptation to run in case I blew up and couldn,t finish.I did manage the sprint finish,it had taken me three miles to catch and pass  two American guys, they put in a burst at the end but I wasn,t having that and outsprinted them in the slowest ever sprint finish.It,s dog eat dog at the back of the field.
K9
28/10/2009 at 09:30
WELL DONE Jim - fantastic achievement
28/10/2009 at 09:55
Yay Jim! Well done you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2,581 to 2,591 of 2,591 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.