tight and hurt calf

5 messages
12/06/2012 at 06:46
I seem to get a tight calf while running then really painful afterwards. I always stretch after and been using a rolling pin on my calf muscle which makes a big difference. Any suggestions of things I can do to stop it occurring. It seems more painful if I run rather than jog
12/06/2012 at 11:13

I have something similar at moment - probably due to a recent increase in my running. It's probably due to damaged muscles not being given a chance to repair - have a few days off and run again when pain gone.

For what it's worth I am not going to follow my own advice!

12/06/2012 at 16:59
I'v a 10km on sat so may have to so I get round the course running. Gonna try sports massage as well to c if helps at all.
12/06/2012 at 22:22
I had a really tight calf for approx 10 days recently (during a taper period). It was in constant spasm and threatened to ruin the marthon I ran last weekend.

I tried everything, sports massage, foam roller, tennis ball, bio-freeze, heat, stretching, hot/cold treatment .......
Two days before the race a PT gave me something called Dry Needling, and then taped up the calf to improve blood flow. I was really sceptical about having needles stuck in the calf, but amazingly it was instant relief, and I ran a great marathon with just one twinge late on.

Anyway, something to consider if you get as desparate as I was.
13/06/2012 at 06:18
Never heard of that. My plan is run spring marathon but can't see it happening at the min. I was ok doing 11min miles it's when I do 9 I get the problems. I seem to b getting brusing from rolling pin which makes me think tissue damage or muscle. After sat end Sept is my next booked race. A half so time ish get sorted

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.