Tight Calf

21 to 27 of 27 messages
26/09/2002 at 15:35
Sound similar to a problem I had.... and guess what.... changing shoes did the trick.

V-rap... I'm interested in your comment about rotating shoes. After running a 10K at the weekend in essentially new shoes (I know stupid! but it was a tough choice, stability or no stability and potentially more problems) I can understand the need to break them in so to speak but you seemed to be saying something else about decreasing biomechanical stress.. could you expand... are you saying it would reduce the stress caused by one set even though the second set might be the same make and type?

Cheers

Mike
27/09/2002 at 09:58
Mike, on the contrary, rather than buying two identical pairs of shoes and wearing them alternately, it's not a bad idea to have two DIFFERENT types on the go at once. Even though you will need the same broad category of shoe each time (cushioning, support etc), the design differences between models and manufacturers are big enough to shift some of the weightbearing stress from one muscle group to another. For example, I am currently alternating a pair of old-style Nike Air Althea (the new model is rubbish, but don't let me get started on that) which have 400 miles on them with a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders which have about 60 miles on them, and walking in expired Asics 2060s - all suitable for lightweight mild overpronators, all very comfortable (I am as fussy as can be about running shoes, and won't buy something that feels as if it needs "breaking in"), but all very different to run in.

My approach is to buy a new pair when the next newest pair has about 250-300 miles on board, try them out on the treadmill a few times, then let the oldest pair become walking shoes.

It could all be pure pseudoscience, but it's an excuse to buy lots of trainers!
27/09/2002 at 16:25
Thanks V-rap. As always the logic behind your postings is most informative and enlightening.

What if it means we spend more! Initially at least! Your going to buy them in the long run anyway... just that you might buy more over time because you decrease the chance of potential injuries... that to me is a bargin

Cheers
Mike
29/09/2002 at 10:03
Hi V-rap I would agree with what you are saying about different shoes. You might like to try the new Saucony range, Trigon. Like you I have been wearing Mitzuno Wave riders with Performance having found some Asics to supportive. I ran the Flora London Marathon in the Wave riders and found them the most comfortable shoes in 5 Marathons. The Trigons are a neutral shoe and the range covers suportive through cusioning to racing shoes.

Best

Adam
30/09/2002 at 09:09
V-Rap, just like to say that I went to my running man (that's what we call the guy who owns the local running shop by the way) - did a gait assessment which was 'normal' but found out that my reeboks weren't actually running shoes afterall (although they were sold as 'runners').....
I ended up buying a new pair of Saucony Grid Jazz which I test drove yesterday and I'm pleased to say that not only did my time improve but there was absolutely no calf pain at all!!
Maybe you should try it too Tim!
30/09/2002 at 14:23
Good minds think alike... glad your calf seems better too!!

What run on Sunday? hope all goes well!
30/09/2002 at 15:11
I'm srue it'll be no bother for you with your new trainers! Good Luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.