Toenails are for sissies

but they do hurt

3 messages
11/06/2009 at 16:54

after my first race in 2 years on sunday, i gained two black toenails (one on each foot, the toe next to my big toe.)  a bit tender but not bad.  went to attend to my feet and toenails last night and caught underneath the toe and a fair bit of blood came out (I suppose the black toenails were a blood blister.)  I have since cleaned and put a plaster on but am wearing open toe sandals at work today to give them a bit of air.  they are however a bit tender/sore.

my questions are

1 - is there anything i can do/put on them to relieve this soreness?  i want to train this evening and i am taking part in a 3k on sunday and don't want to temporarily cripple myself.

2 - what can i do to prevent this happening in the future?  is it possible i need to replace my shoes as it is 2 years since i did a fair bit of running and i have gained 3 - 4 stone in that time.  would this have a bearing on my toe problem?

Sorry for going on a bit.  And thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom you may have.

11/06/2009 at 17:06

I had a similar problem with both my big toe nails on a long run.  The nails went black, they were raised and very sore. I had to go to work in flip flops in the middle of winter.   I applied pressure on the nails so the blisters underneath burst, squelched the fluid out then bathed them in surgical spirit.   They were clean and dry within a couple of hours and i was able to run again the next day.  The nails eventually fell off, but never bothered me anymore after that.

Yes, if you're going to start running again i would advise a fitting for proper shoes.

Good luck with the 3k

12/06/2009 at 10:19

I second LWJ - get fitted for new shoes.

Not much you can do about the toes now, but they will heal and grow out - eventually.

Keeping the nails short helps.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.