Too fat to run now

38,961 to 38,980 of 40,173 messages
03/02/2013 at 06:25

A right lot of poet laureates arn't we?

03/02/2013 at 12:28

I went to the theatre last night. I'm right posh I am. 

How is everyone?
It's cold here - but dry!!! Well, it's dry from above but still filthy and wet at ground level. 

03/02/2013 at 15:57

Why haven't I found this thread before!!!  I read the opening post and it described exactly how I feel at the moment although I dont have Speedy Gs running history. I have done 10Ks in the past (very slowly) but have been defeated by a lung condition so am not up to races at the moment. I need to start building up again slowly but dont have the confidence to get out of the door, even though I know that I can do the training I have planned. Should have gone out yestereday but cried at the thought. I am going to read through the thread and pick up any tips for overcoming such pathetic behaviour! My lungs are under control so I am healthier and have more energy than I have had for a good few years so I need to get on with it. Have set myself an intial goal of getting out at least 3 times a week and getting the first stone off.

Wish me luck!!

03/02/2013 at 18:55

Hello there Fish 
You'll need a couple of years without interuption to read through this thread! Why not just start from this page and let us encourage you.
If the thought of 'training' is filling you with such dread then you need to start thinking of your runs in a different way. Try a good brisk walk maybe? Wear your running kit for  it and let it turn into a jog of it's own accord if the is what feels right at the time.
Good luck getting out there and getting re-started.
Oh - and don't listen to me if dieting is your thing... I am a caked out chocoholilc with the will power of a koala bear (they eat 23 hours a day!). 

Ally - I think you might be needed here before I totally say the wrong things 

03/02/2013 at 19:01
Evening Mr. Fish.
Welcome to the thread.
We will prod and poke where needed and give encouragement as well.
Limper to answer your previous question. I live on tippy planet, I did have a good run I did I did I did
03/02/2013 at 19:01

Hi there limper

I like  your idea of just putting on my running kit and seeing what happens. Will try that tomorrow.  Who knows I might surprise myself! And it would maybe stop me worrying that I might upset my lungs again if I push myself too hard. 

Don't plan to do heavy duty dieting just changing some habits, reducing portion size and drinking less alcohol.

Thanks for the encouragement.

03/02/2013 at 19:03

Hi Tiptoes

Thanks for offer of encouragement and prodding, I thknk both will be needed!

BTW its Mrs not Mr

Fish

03/02/2013 at 19:45

I daresay your run was good Tippy. I just wondered on what planet it wasn't raining!
I have a spare place for Heartbreaker BTW. Fancy a hug?

Fish - I go through rotten periods of not having the confidence to run. Dunno why. Sometimes you have to be strict with yourself and sometimes you have to just bide your time. It depends what it is that is making you so anxious about running that it reduces you to tears. As I said, my first step would be to remove the pressure of 'training' but do try to be structured in your approach so that you get outside regularly. If you are in your running kit you'll probably feel empowered to break into a little jogette every now and then! Smaller plate for meals and throw away the wine glass (and bottle) completely.

03/02/2013 at 20:22

Evening!

Fish - welcome.  I am not great at sticking with this thread - because I am not the greatest at sticking with running lol.  Diet wise though, I have lost approaching 7 stone in the last couple of years so I'm pretty good at sticking to that.  Basic principles for me have been porridge for breakfast, a snack mid morning, main meal at lunch time with carbs - brown carbs!  I always have brown rice as it fills me up nicely, another snack and then dinner of lean meats and vegetables/salads/stirfrys etc.  I dont' eat carbs after 5.  Lots of training - I train 5 times a week but for me that's usually only 1 or 2 runs as I injure easily running.

Guys, my dear hubby has been working 12 hours days all weekend so my 3.5mile run I was meant to do hasn't happened. Ugh.  Now need to find time to fit in the week.

04/02/2013 at 06:29

Ally, you are amazing.

04/02/2013 at 08:02

Mrs Fish (opps sorry)

Ally don't stress about the run, i am sure a chance will pop up during the week .

Limper: i swear on RE's feathers it did not rain when we were out on our run. 

Also remember cross training ( no Limper that ANGRY training) can also benefit

04/02/2013 at 17:12

Grrrhh! was going to go out at 3 for half an hour but have just spent 2 hours on the phone trying to explain something . Not keen on going out in the dark so it will have to wait until Thurs. Ho Hum.

04/02/2013 at 18:39

Interval training on the treadmill for me today - oh my word not sure what burnt most - my legs or my lungs!

I am a slow runner - not as slow as I once was but slow - with little legs (well, short at least ) so running 0.2mile intervals at over 6mph was a killer.  The 0.1mile interval at 6.8 was even worse but at least shorterI

I've somehow hurt my shoulder which means my normal training is going to be really limited which is turn means I will get out running more as it's all I can do! Plan my 3 1/2 mile long run tomorrow

04/02/2013 at 19:06

Hi Ally - Hmm! Thats got me thinking I could do a treadmill session on my way home from work tomorrow. I hate the gym and I hate the treadmill but maybe better than nothing. On the other hand I will be walking a couple of miles tomorrow.

Hope your run doesn't get snowed on!

Fish

04/02/2013 at 21:12

Tippy - it's no good swearing on poor old Eagle. I'll only believe you if you put your hand on my heart and swear 

Well done Ally - for the training that is. Bad luck for the shoulder hurtie.

You OK Speedy?

Eagle?  ..... shakes the nest gently.....

I might run (ahem) home tomorrow. Haven't done that for weeks or maybe even months!
Or I might just get in the car and drive instead! That would give me the chance to eat chocolate while I'm driving and give me more cake time once I get home. It's a tough choice!

04/02/2013 at 21:19

Hey Fish, could you not put your runners on for that couple of mile walk and maybe break into a little joggette if you fancied it?

Go on Limper, you know you want to run!

04/02/2013 at 22:05
Limper: put down the chocolate and step away....
04/02/2013 at 22:08

Hi Ally I would but it is the mile walk from station to office and mile back again so a bit too much faffing about to do it in runners and get to the office all hot and sweaty. I do very brisk walking though!

Fish

05/02/2013 at 06:31

.... puts down choclit, picks up Tippy.... 

I will take the car to work and I'll take my PE kit and I'll decide at the moment of leaving as to what my mode of transport will be.
The problem you land-lubbers don't appreciate is that I have to run directly into the wind the whole way home. And it's cold. And I'm only a frail wee thing

Enjoy your walk Fish.

Good luck with your 3.5 Ally. My word, you are a new woman these days. I am so impressed. And really happy for you. 
How are the girls in your life BTW (2 and 4 legged!) ?

Wake up Speedy. Where are you? I hope you're not sitting in a broken down car somewhere?!

... snuggles back in between the boys for a cuddle ...  

05/02/2013 at 09:02

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.