24/01/2005 at 18:36
p.s. How did your ultra go Hippo?
24/01/2005 at 18:38
fine, apart from the marshalls trying to pull me off the course
mara pb-5.14.14
20 miles without walking
Finish time 6.04.48
24/01/2005 at 18:43
Well done. I know I couldn't do 30 miles or even 20 miles without walking. Why did marshalls try to pull you off?
24/01/2005 at 19:00
having originally assured me of no cutoff they then decided on a 6 hour cutoff--but tried to pull me off at 5 hours 20-with less than 3 miles to go
Guess they wanted to go home
24/01/2005 at 19:05
mean people. You obviously persuaded them otherwise!
24/01/2005 at 19:09
i ranted
i finished
nuff said
wont be doing THAT one again
24/01/2005 at 19:18
Hip, hip hipporay! Class act Hippo, be proud!
24/01/2005 at 19:38
Oops - cross posting. I'm cheering for your fab performance of course - not the ranting - lol!
24/01/2005 at 19:54
Brill Hippo. You tell them. Marshalls tried to do that to me in Benidorm as there was a 5hr time limit that I didn't know about. Finished in 5hr 15 but they nearly didn't give me my medal.

Well done mava62. I couldn't do that at the moment.

Went out tonight and managed 40 mins. Getting better. Struggled with sore knee for a bit. Knee support made it worst had to take it off. Runs were longer than the walks tonight.
24/01/2005 at 20:11
Go for it Speedy.
24/01/2005 at 20:48
Going to try push for a little more this week. See how it goes. Got to get the weight down though as I know this is why running is so hard but I will keep going.
Roz
25/01/2005 at 09:08
Hi Speedy! I've read every message on this thread and not only have you had some wonderful support but I witnessed something amazing! You have gone from being very down and negative to a much more positive attitude. Not only that, but you have given encouragement too.

Due to numerous injuries, I've gone from 'improving' back to 'beginner' more times than I've had hot dinners! AND it doesn't get any easier either but I agree with what a couple of forumites have said 'the hardest step is the one out of your front door'.

A trick I have devised is when I get home from work, I immediately get changed into my running gear. That way, I'm getting into the mindset of getting outside no matter what!

As for your knee problem, do you know exactly what is wrong with it?
25/01/2005 at 19:14
Hi Roz, thanks very much for your kind words. I am feeling much more positive but it is still hard to get out the door. Got changed tonight and hesitated at the front door but pushed myself out. Did my 3 miles with less walks tonight and longer runs. What I can't understand is how it is then the same time as last week when I had more walks and shorter runs!!!

Everyone has been so nice to me on here. It is keeping me going posting on here especially now I have more use of the computer.

No idea what is wrong with my knee. Didn't wear the support tonight and it was not too bad. The pain is right over the top acorss the front. Asked the doctor last time I was there about it but he didn't know. It is fine walking but hurts the minute I run especially down hill. Its been like this for nearly 2 years now. I put it down to wear and tear due to all the years I did a lot of running and then the extra weight it has to carry now.

Sorry to hear that you have been injury plagued. It is no fun feeling that you have gone back to square one. Hope things are better for you.
25/01/2005 at 19:19
Thats fab speedy
you keep going lovely
25/01/2005 at 19:21
Hiya Hippo

Have the legs recoverd from Sunday? I am trying hard. Just needed the encouragement you all give me. I am glad that I am staying Sunday night now at Lochaber so we can have a chat and partee.

25/01/2005 at 19:33
Hi all.

Speedy, re your knee, have you tried doing some strengthening for your quads? I had big knee problems, couldn't even walk short distances without a great deal of pain. Orthopod referred me for physio, physio said knee was unstable so had me doing lots of strength work plus referred me to a podiatrist to sort out changes to my gait after the achilles problems. That and losing weight helped and touch wood, all seems fine now.

You'll lose the weight Speedy, best to do it slowly and sensibly as it's more likely to stay off.

Roz, good on you to keep coming back. I do wonder if I'd have the strength to do it again! I'm motivated right now as giving up smoking has given me some real improvements in my cardio levels and my endurance.

25/01/2005 at 19:33
I was fine yesterday speedy, but after 4.8 this am, i am in pain and unbelievably knackered
25/01/2005 at 19:34
oooh, just seen youll be there on Sunday-BRILL
Mava-nice pic
25/01/2005 at 19:42
Hippo Hope you are having a nice rest today. I think you did brill doing 30 miles on Sunday.

Mava62 haven't tried leg strenghener exercises yet. Doctor just told me the tablets he gives me for tension headaches will help so to take them as prescribed not just when I have a headache. They are Diclofex.

I know that if I can loose all the weight (5st of it) this will help the knee but it will be slow work.
25/01/2005 at 19:45
rest?

no, back training and work was mad

Agree quads strenghtening exericses would be a good idea speedy-especially if the support helps
141 to 160 of 40,135 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.