Top of thigh pain

5 messages
07/02/2011 at 14:16

I am currently training for a Half Marathon.

About 2 weeks ago, my training called for threshold intervals. Since I am training on a treadmill, this has been fairly straight forward process of increasing/decreasing the speed as required. Anyway, after the run I started to feel a pain in the top of my thigh, close to the groin. This pain made walking difficult - in fact any weight I put on it was sore.

After a day or so, the pain began to subside however, another run put me back in the same position. I have now left this for about a week however, the pain still seems to be there - if I think about it. I am due to go out this evening but have decided that I'll go to the gym and do some cardio work to give it a little more time to heal.

I will next be going out on Wednesday however, my concern is that I have done something more than pulled a muscle - surely if it was just a pulled muscle it wouldn't have lasted so long.

Any ideas as to what I may have done? I really don't want to the to impede my training...

Thank you

09/02/2011 at 09:19

Sounds like my problem Simon. 

I put it down to my ITB again.  The problem does improve with resting and then reappears not long after.  I have recently bought a foam roller and this appears to be helping, altho my partner does have to roll me as Im far to soft to do it effectively on my own! 

I would recommend that you see a good sports physio to get the problem checked out, and a proper diagnosis as I found out I have flat feet and they contibute to a lot of the injuries I get inc bad back.

09/02/2011 at 09:28

I have read a couple of things about a foam roller - what is this (the only foam roller I am aware of is for painting and I can't imagine it being that!).

I have booked myself an appointment with the doctors tomorrow morning so hopefully they will refer me to a physio. I've only got 6 weeks left before the hlaf marathon and really don't want to miss out on my training or the run itself!

I was told at a young age that I have flat feet and I do often suffer with lower back problems, but this is the first injury I have sustained whilst running.

09/02/2011 at 18:19

Nope its not  however didnt stop me thinking it was just like that when first mentioned to me! If the physio DOES recommend one, then heres a youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watchv=c9aJtO0VCqw

If they dont refer you to a physio.  Make an appointment anyway, theyre not that expensive compared to being unable to run(I pay £20 per session).  And if it makes you feel any better Ive got a HM in approx 6 weeks too and still cant run round the block without being smothered in deepheat/voltarol gel. 

Hope you get it sorted

Sam

09/02/2011 at 18:21

Sorry tried to post link but wont work.  Search Foam roller ITB on youtube and theres loads on there....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.