Trying to conceive

serious advice please

1 to 20 of 55 messages
DMK
18/09/2003 at 10:10
Hi I feel a bit awkward asking this but I am starting to get a bit worried. we have been trying to conceive for 14 months now with no success.

A couple of friends keep telling me I should stop running as this will not help, I only run about 3 times a week average mileage 15, so hardly in the ultra category. At first I dismissed them but am now starting to wonder if they are right. I only started running over a year ago, but I really don't want to give up as it has been an uphill struggle to get to my current level and I have never felt so fit and full of energy.

ONe of my friends suggests that running in early days of conception could "dislodge" the embryo, is this ridiculous?

AM I really hampering my chances of conceiving if I continue, I don't want to leave it too late and then think if only. Do any doctors outhere, have any advice or any women with similar experience.

I have been to doctor but they are not really interested until you have tried for 2 years, I am now 38 and feel time is running out. I am trying not to make it a big issue in my life but I feel it slowly increasing, any advice will be gratefully received, thank you.
18/09/2003 at 10:43
Are you having regular periods? I'm not just being nosy - it is important. If you have no periods or your cycle is irregular, your friend may be right about reducing your running for a bit because intensive training (and "intensive" varies from person to person) can stop you from ovulating. But there is no evidence whatsoever that running in early pregnancy can dislodge an embryo or stop it implanting.

I'm a GP, and my threshold for investigating a couple who are taking time to conceive is 12 months (shorter if I know there's a potential problem like endometriosis, previous pelvic infection or polycystic ovarian syndrome). It would do no harm for you to have blood tests to check that you're ovulating, and for your partner to have a sperm count. If these are OK and you have no reason to suspect that your fallopian tubes might be damaged, you may then decide to continue trying for a bit longer because you'll know that statistically the prospects of conceiving naturally will be in your favour. Or you may prefer to proceed to the more complex tests without delay. After 14 months, I think you and your partner, not the doctor, should make that decision.

It might be worth seeing another doctor in the practice who is more up-to-date with fertility issues.

Good luck!
DMK
18/09/2003 at 10:57
Thank you for that, I should have added that I do have regular periods and I have had blood tests and I am ovulating, however I do have endometriosis, I have had laser laperoscopy twice in the past, but both times the doctors said it was not severe, I had it due to the intense pain, which I am told is not a direct correlation with severity of endometriosis.

However, my husband has not been tested, perhaps another visit to the doctor is called for.

Once again thank you, at least you have set my mind at rest over the running issue.
18/09/2003 at 11:02
The effect of endometriosis on your ability to conceive is also not related to the apparent severity of the disease, gaa. There is no excuse for keeping you waiting. Your husband should certainly be tested - nobody is going to do laparoscopy and dye tests on you until it's certain that he is fertile - but I'd have thought a prompt referral to the fertility clinic would be in order.

(In case it isn't obvious, I have strong feelings about people being made to jump through pointless hoops to get the tests and treatment they need.)
18/09/2003 at 11:26
Vrap you are so lovely. Please will you come and be my private GP? Lousy pay, but I'm a good cook and you'd get your own personal blessing every night!
18/09/2003 at 11:33
Gaa, another personal question but are you having sex frequently? You say that you have regular periods and know when you are ovulating. Are you having sex in the days prior to and on the day you ovulate? I know it sounds like a silly question but i am being serious.
DMK
18/09/2003 at 11:37
Yes we are, I haven't tried an ovulation kit, but I think I have a pretty good idea when I ovulate having a 27 -28 day cycle and other tell tale signs.

I was going to try ovulation kit, but don't know anything about them, or know anyone who has tried them.
18/09/2003 at 12:01
Gaa, along with what V.rap suggests i would also make an appt with you family planning nurse. S/he will be able to advice you about what to moniter in as far as pinpointing exactly when you are ovulating. eg - keeping a temperature chart, as there is a slight rise in body temperature at time of ovulation.

Hopefully all these things together will increase you chances of getting pregnant.

Also are you taking a folic acid supplement. Pre-conception Folate supplements have been shown to protect against neural tube defects (spina bifida and anencephaly). Most multivivtamin supplements with folate dose of (0.8mg)is reccommended prior to conception and to be taken through the first trimester.
18/09/2003 at 12:11
I abandoned the thermometer-and-chart, Vatican-roulette-in-reverse malarkey a long time ago, and tend just to advise couples to make sure they get together two or three times a week every week so that there are always some live sperm in the fallopian tube when the egg is released - the egg only survives for about 24 hours, so by the time you ovulate it's almost too late, whereas a healthy sperm can survive for the best part of a week. And, having conceived two of my own children at highly improbable times in a cycle that appeared regular, I can testify to the difficulty of predicting ovulation using the calendar.

Sensible advice about folic acid - I'm surprised how many women who present with planned pregnancies seem not to have heard of it ("Acid? I don't like the sound of that, doc. Are you sure?")
18/09/2003 at 12:12
Ps. Sassie, I accept the job, provided you let me go through your medicine cabinet and throw out everything that is remotely non-allopathic.
18/09/2003 at 12:14
Oops! Well, okay, as it's you!
DMK
18/09/2003 at 12:41
Thanks for all your advice, and to reassure you I have been taking folic acid for the last year.

I have been spurred into action this morning and made another appointment with Doctor for next week.
18/09/2003 at 12:44
Well done, gaa. Keep us up to date - if you want to, of course. I confess - I am a nosy git. It's an essential part of my job description.
18/09/2003 at 14:29
Hi gaa - a friend (mid 30s) had similar problems - tried to conceive for two years, had one miscarriage, and was getting really worried. In the end, as a ´last try´ before going for fertility tests, her and her husband decided that desperate measures were called for ... they both stopped drinking, husband was banned from hot baths and ordered to wear loose pants.... nothing exceptional, they just ruled out everything that could be a barrier to conception ....

... whether it was coincidence or not they can never tell, but within two months my friend had concieved and they now have a beautiful two year old girl.

Good luck!
DMK
18/09/2003 at 14:34
Hi LizzyB, thanks for that, funnily enough we too have both just decided to give up alcohol for a few months to see if that helps, he only ever showers, so just got to get him into the loose pants now......
18/09/2003 at 14:36
Just hope you still fancy him when you've seen him in a pair of baggy boxers, gaa.
DMK
18/09/2003 at 14:37
I'll close my eyes and think of England!!
18/09/2003 at 19:20
Good luck gaa, I've been trying for 4 years. My latest "treatment" is to enter FLM so that I get pregnant just before and cannot run it!!
19/09/2003 at 09:04
How easily have any of you managed to persuade your hubby that they should get their sperm tested ? I came off the pill and no periods. I had previously come off the pill about 8 years ago for different reasons (was single, didn't need to be on it) and no periods for a year, ended up getting put back on the pill before they ever came back. So now that i've come off to try to get pregnant doc reckons if i didn't have periods in first couple of months then quite likely that same will happen again i.e. no periods for a year or more. So he gave me stuff to hopefully bump start the periods and was going to arrange for stuff to make me ovuluate etc and wanted hubby to be checked out as well as they don't give these treatments without checking hubby even if there are no signs he has a problem. However hubby very reluctant to give sample (!), so at the minute have taken the stuff to bump start periods and getting a blood test soon and waiting to see if it does the trick and i have a period soon. Hubby wants to wait and see if they will come back after taking this stuff before we go down the stimulating my ovaries road and him having to give a sample.

He wears boxers, but does have baths as we don't have a shower (just getting one put in) and he drinks a lot (not more than your average 30 something bloke, but more than the recommended 21 units per week). He's a bit of a bloke bloke if you know what i mean and the suggestion that he should be tested when i obvioulsy have the problem (i.e. no periods) he's not best pleased about. Have persuaded him that the treatments you get have all sorts of side effects so they won't put a woman through that without making sure the bloke is 100%ok. However how do i get him to cut down the drinking ? Do people think it will make a big difference, does anyone know of any good articles i could print off and take home to persuade him to reduce the drinking, give up smoking ? My sister and brother-in-law, smoked and drank a lot till they found out she was pregnant then they stopped completely and my nephew is completely healthy (9lb 10oz at birth). So having a hard job convincing him that giving up fags and booze beforehand is a good idea as his argument is it didn't do our nephew any harm !!
19/09/2003 at 09:53
Mags 2, if you don't mind a male butting in on a ladies' thread ...

My youngster was born from IVF after failure to conceive naturally. As it gradually dawned there was a problem with conceiving, we sought advice.

The first thing they do is test the man. It is really so obvious, and so simple, that your hubby does not have a leg to stand on. All he has to do is supply a sample of his seed (at the clinic I went to, we just had to take a sample along having produced it, ahem, jointly).

It's not a slight on one's masculinity.

I don't know what procedures await a man if his count isn't up to scratch. The procedures my ex-wife had to endure were unpleasant and undignified at times as we did the IVF. But in any event testing the man is so easy that I doubt any doctor will even consider signing you up to anything at all until it's clear he's not firing blanks.

I can't comment on the effect fags and booze have on the count. Suffice to say that at the time I smoked and drank. Didn't seem to make a difference, but I defer to the medics on that one.

Good luck.

1 to 20 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.