Twisted Ankle

2 messages
18/01/2013 at 18:02

OK, so I twisted my ankle on Tuesday this week and am currently letting it recover.

I'm just wondering how I should tackle getting back into running once I feel it is ok to run on again. I'm sure people on here have gone through this loads of times.

I'm currently part way through a training plan for the Brighton Marathon in April and Brighton Half in a months time. So I assume I should cut back on the milage, I'm currently up to 16 miles for a LSR, for a bit but is there any other advice that can be given?

I can walk on it and I've noticed today is a lot easier than the previous two. The previous two days have been more of a hobble rather than walk, but today, as long as it wasn't stiff from sitting at my desk, I haven't noticed it unless I've thought about it. However, that doesn't mean I think I'm ready to run on it again.

18/01/2013 at 19:26

Avoid hills for a bit, and uneven ground.  You probably should avoid speed work too.

Once it stops hurting, start drawing the alphabet with your toes a couple of times a day.  It helps to maintain flexibility and stretches the ankle tendons out gently.

For your first run back, only do a couple of miles at most.  If it isn't sore, swollen or stiff afterwards then you can increase the distance on your next run.  If it still isn't right then rest a couple more days before trying again.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.