"Two stone off" 2013

Support for losing weight in 2013

161 to 180 of 248 messages
12/05/2013 at 17:37

Hello, hope there's room for another here? I started running a couple of years ago using the C25k programme, which helped to kick start my weight loss, but after running a half marathon a knee problem forced me to stop running last year. I'm now back up to 25mins running non-stop and, thanks to Rosemary Conley, at the weight I was before I had to stop running. But ideally I'd like to lose 1.5 - 2 stone. The calorie counting was going really well and I've lost 10 pounds but I got a bit complacent and started buying crisps and chocolate so I need to get back into the habit of low-fat and portion control as this is the only thing that appears to work for me.

Off to make a big vat of low-fat tomato and bean soup as it's Monday tomorrow, that seems like a good time to start again! Looking forward to reading about more pounds being lost by everyone

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 17:38
12/05/2013 at 23:12

Good luck Norfolklass!

signed up for my fitness pal today. Logged all all food and thought I'd done well till I remembered the bottle of alcoholic ginger beer! If I eat like today everyday I will lose a grand total of 0.8lb in 5 weeks! Might explain why I'm not really losing anything!

13/05/2013 at 09:22

I lost 2lb, 38 to go. Also ran the town & gown comfortably under an hour and ten minutes, the fastest and most enjoyable run this year. I would also benefit from fewer alcoholic treats. I should probably do something about that.

13/05/2013 at 16:41

Well, Wilmslow Sprint Tri done yesterday. Really enjoyed it, but probably didn't press myself as much as I would in a running only event. Only now having done one do I appreciate just how dominant the cycling is in triathlon. Contemplating another sprint tri in the run up to Chester, but might delay it until next year and really focus on bike training over the winter. But the photos certainly provided more motivation for the weight loss ...hmmmmmmm. 

13/05/2013 at 18:06

Hey all. Always room for more norfolklass!!

Hallam Blue - don't delay it! Plenty of time to get more bike miles before Chester and I believe cycling helps running.

I'm going to go over my calorie limit today, even though going for a run at lunch time. Have to say I really had no idea how many calories can be in a burger!  90% abardeen angus beef though so not anything crap. Not in my usual eating regime so a one off as well.

13/05/2013 at 22:55

No marathon this week so a zero week for me but at least no increase

14/05/2013 at 12:51

Hi everyone, the perfect thread for me to join! Enjoyed catching up on the messages. well done everyone.

January at my annual medical the Doctor (huh! what do they know?) confimed my better half's diagnosis "you are a fat boy". Have to go from 100kg to 80kg (at least). I have booked a half Marathon in September and I intend to be 80KG at the weigh in.

So far so good 91.5 on Sunday, running and dieting. But I'm at that dangerous smug stage and this public committment is perfect. I'm sort of following a Triathlon/10k schedule at the moment to save my joints before I beef up the mileage over the summer.

16/05/2013 at 21:24

Went to gym yesterday, so got to use their digital scales. 0.8kg down from three weeks ago. If I can keep this up then I would reach target weight in 12 weeks time. See how it goes!

17/05/2013 at 18:08

Keep it up Catalin.

After the shaky start for this week I've been really good food wise and upped my mileage a bit as well. Feeling great and motivated.

19/05/2013 at 14:04

Argh. +2lb.   

But at least I did my first walk/run training session this morning after months of no running.  

Now trying not to say 'sod it' re. my weigh in and thus fall off the wagon seriously today.  About to go out and find some distractions...

20/05/2013 at 14:11

Another pound off, but no running this weekend due to a chest infection and a Eurovision party (aka a surfeit of rosé and vol au vents). Must sign up for Wallingford 10K on Sunday.

20/05/2013 at 16:21

Well I'm still on a downward thankfully another marathon weekend and a very small 1/2Lb loss but better than a gain

20/05/2013 at 21:37

- 1lbs for me, happy with that but need to do better. Bit tired and grumpy today and eaten more than my allowed calories...

21/05/2013 at 14:15

Not quite sure what's happening with my weight.

Signed up to MyFitnessPal and logged every morsel - most days I was over but only by around 50 cals.  Went from 11st11lb on day 1 to 11st 9lb on day 8.  Then I weighed myself this morning and I'm back at 11st 10.5lb. 

Can't do much about it at the moment - really sore throat and feeling crap, so no running for a few days (was at the doc a couple of weeks ago with similar, and was told to rest as I had a virus on top of a virus - that's what having 2 kids at nursery does for you).

Slightly pee'd off as I'm going on holiday in less than 4 weeks, and want to lose a few pounds before then.

One thing that's confusing me - when I input all my details into MyFitnessPal, it gave me a daily target of 1200 cals.  That seems very low to me (although it's plenty on the days I manage to run, as it nets off the calories burned).

21/05/2013 at 14:54

Hi, I could do with a bit of motivation at the moment so, if you don't mind, I'll go public here.

I'm a bit of a binger and at one time a few years ago was up to 16 st. At 5' 7" that was terrible. For the last year or so I've been between 13 1/2 - 14 stone (14st 1.5lb last Sat).

I have done the beginner running program a few times. While I think weight is more about what you eat and drink exercise to me is a big pschological tool that focuses the mind and helps improve self image and general well-being.

I will begin the run/walk again tomorrow. I stopped running last year leading up to a knee operation. My surgeon wasn't too keen on the idea of me running again but it's the only exercise that works for me so I'll see how it feels. I think that if it gets me to lose the weight then the benefit of not having the constant weight on my joints will out-way the short periods of running impact.

In summary 14st 1.5lb now, target 11st, therefore 43.5 lb to lose.

22/05/2013 at 09:44

Nessie, it kind of depends how much you weigh to start with and where you need to end up. If you've a lot to lose then 1200 calories is going to be hard to maintain, if you're just trying to shift a stone for the summer you'll be fine. Try not to weigh yourself every day, or if you must, don't worry about fluctuations, they're normal, mostly to do with the amount of food and water in your body, a pint of water weighs a pound an a quarter. I eat so much veg that my bodyweight can vary by 4 or 5lb during a single day; it's the trend over time you need to worry about. Weightwatchers recommend you average out the weight loss over four weeks; a healthy loss is an average of a half to two pounds per week. I know that sounds painfully slow, but imagine you'd lost just half a pound a week for the past year - you'd be two stone lighter.

On a different tack, I went to the gym for the first time in years yesterday. Really enjoyed it, going for heavy weights, low reps, trying to find some muscle. Laid off the caffeine and alcohol, went to bed early with a camomile tea and a Jamie Oliver magazine! Slept well and no anxious knot in my stomach when I woke up for the first time in ages. Don't half ache though!

22/05/2013 at 11:40

Nessie - mine came up as 1200kcal as well but I was for ever going over that and I think it's too little for long term anyway so have gone with 1400 which I find much easier to keep up with. Ideally I want to lose 2st at the end of this year but the last half a stone will be the hardest as haven't been that weight for yonks.

25/05/2013 at 09:39

Well, the pesky 2lb I managed to gain last week has gone away again.  This morning the scales showed -2lb.  I have now been told NO RUNNING (again!), but recommended to power walk for the time being instead to reduce the impact on my joints and help rehabilitate my ITB and foot injuries.  I'm finding power walking does up my heart rate and make me puff - especially on the uphill sections!  I guess strictly speaking I shouldn't really be posting on a runners forum since I am not running, but I have been a runner, and still am hoping to be one again!

Have readjusted my goal weight to allow for a 1lb per week loss and a target therefore of two stone off by Christmas.  Hopefully that should allow for a few ebb and flow weeks when I'm away on business in the US (always come back from US trips heavier!) and on holiday (in a hotel which does AMAZING food and which while I will avoid binging on, I am not going to by-pass when I am paying to eat it!).

Good luck to everyone who is on a weigh in day today!  

25/05/2013 at 11:04

A pound and a half down; that's four and a half off 40 erm, 35 1/2 to go. Been lifting some weights and rowing in the gym this week, think it's helping. 10K in Newbury tomorrow, they'd closed the online entry for Wallingford and if I haven't already paid I won't turn up. Anne, I frequently find I've taken 6 months off - once a runner, always a runner!

26/05/2013 at 09:50

Yay - 11st 7b this morning,. So that last weight was a bogus one. 

That's given me a wee boost.

161 to 180 of 248 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.