Typical Menu

Can anyone help with an idea of a week plan of food for a runner?

4 messages
21/03/2013 at 11:23

I just want to know about what foods you sub 1:20 HM runners eat? I want to shift at least a stone before my next HM on the 28th April.. please some guidance would be good.. I train 5 times a week/

CHeers

21/03/2013 at 11:55

Thats a couple of contrasting queries today - sub-25 5k & sub-80 HM!

Losing a stone in a month sounds like a big ask.  Based on some dodgy internet-based facts and figures - to lose 1lb of fat you need to burn 3500 additional calories over your food/drink intake. so to lose 14lbs, you need to burn 49000 additional calories.

I'd reckon a sub-80 HM runner would typically be running a minimum of 50 miles per week (proabably a lot more but I want some easy maths!) - which equates to roughly 5000 calories a week @ about 100 cals per mile (based on my Garmin's readings).  That means you'd have to run about 10 weeks of 50 miles per week to burn through a stone's worth of fat, with everything else being equal. To burn 49000 calories before April 28th would require running 120 miles per week, whilst not eating anything more - which would probably kill you!

These figures aren't that well researched - but it does show that losing a stone is a significant amount.  If you diet too hard whilst training hard, you are likely to cause yourself some issues.

Currently I'm reading "eat & run" by Scott Jurek (a top ultra runner) which might interest you - it is the extreme end of the scale, as he manages 7 min/mile at the end of rugged 100 milers etc .  However i might give you some insights into how to fuel a runner's body.  

21/03/2013 at 12:34

I think, quite regardless of what running is being done, losing a stone in a month is generally considered an unhealthy amount of weight loss.

21/03/2013 at 13:04

ha stutyr.. I just like asking the questions! .. its all for research.. I've read that book its a really good for food ideas a very committed individual

TBH the lose a stone ask wasn't thought about as I typed.. I do apologie. What I plan to do know is take a look at my diet which is'nt that bad and take out some of the maybe unhealthy or bad foods out for a while as I do like the odd packet of sweets! but thanks for taking time to reply guys

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.