Typical...achilles heel!!!

2 messages
29/10/2012 at 11:53

Hi,.....HELP!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!....

Local running is pretty flat, so in August i took advantage of running up/down very gentle hills whilst on holiday in Norfolk (yeah, i too thought it was flat!)...only to develop mass achilles tendonitis after one rather poor run on the flat on my return home!

I have tried strapping up, ibuprofen gel/pills, and rest....consequently tried twice to get two miles under my belt...both times ended in failure and extreme pain!! I am soooo frustrated! I've been suffering for 10 long weeks now!

What should my plan of action be???...i have a few calf raise exercises from GP...but i NEED to go running!!!

Thanks, in anticipation!

31/10/2012 at 16:49

This question is asked a lot on here, Achilles Tendonitis is now called Achilles Tendinopathy.  I'm just recovery from it myself and have been doing eccentric exercises twice a day for the last several weeks.  Is the pain on the tendon itself, about 1-2 cm up from the heel bone? Does it hurt if you squeeze the tendon in this area?  If you google / youtube 'eccentric exercises achilles tendinopathy' you'll see how to do them.  But first I'd strongly recommend you see a Physiotherapist experienced with running to make sure they are the right treatment for you.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.