Using KT tape

21 to 25 of 25 messages
28/04/2012 at 21:00

All the research articles I've seen on KT tape say that it got results, but there was no evidence that what it achieved was any better than standard tape at a fraction of the cost.

I went up to the KT tape stand at the VLM expo and asked if they had any research underway or that I hadn't come across.  Someone working on the stand with "physio" on his top said that a colleague had sent him some via email, but when I asked him if he could forward the findings to me he suddenly seemed to have lost it. He said he wasn't really into reading research, which surprised me as part of working as a physio is keeping up with the latest research - it's considered part of your professional responsibility.

I'm always open to new research findings, but I found the guy on their stand less than convincing.

28/04/2012 at 21:38
Hi XFR Bear,

There has been a big review fairly recently that looked at nearly 100 studies. They concluded that there was some evidence for kinesiology tape but further research was needed (like with so many things). Link to the abstract is here;

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/adis/smd/2012/00000042/00000002/art00005

You need a login or Athens to view the full article I'm afraid.

It's similar in some ways to massage in that it's widely used but the research behind it is far from convincing. Like I said earlier though, it's not all about the research!

Tom
28/04/2012 at 22:47
Thanks Tom, I have an Athens login
29/04/2012 at 09:15
Rocktape is a more adhesive tape than any i've found, used it again for brighton this year (Not for shins - orthotics solved that problem, no pain since using them!) But for an unhappy knee.

I also like the patterns Rocktape do - i'm currently sporting cow print

29/04/2012 at 17:02
Over the years we've taught thousands of physios both rigid taping (McConnell) and KT. Both are excellent at being pain relievers.

The research for both is generally pretty toot - but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

As long as the right tape is used for the right thing and put on by the right person, then it's smiles all round. If taping (regardless of flavour) doesn't make you feel any better, then it's doing no more that acting like a plaster.

If tape decreases your pain then it'll give you the ability to move better with greater control and consequently better alignment.

It must be used as an adjunct to treatment and never on it's own.....well it can be, but you'll be back!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.