vitamins to combat the winter

13 messages
12/11/2012 at 11:18

Hi

Ever since the clocks changed I've been getting low level headaches, feeling tired and my 10K times have dropped by a couple of minutes.

Do you think I need to start taking vitamins/iron suppliments to combat the lack of day light I'm getting.  I'm in Aberdeenshire and only see day light at the weekend or on the couple of runs I do at lunch times.

Any advice on vitamins/suppliments would be great.

ta

pete

12/11/2012 at 11:25
Balanced healthy diet
12/11/2012 at 12:51

I do consider myself to have a healthy diet.  I am a veggie.  I regularly eat my greens, pasta etc.  I just wondered if folk take suppliments as well.

12/11/2012 at 13:00

daylight maks no difference to vitamin levels bar Vit D and then you only need 20mins exposure of sun/day average to get enough

just stick to a healthy diet - even veggies don't need to supplement if you choose the right veg

12/11/2012 at 13:44

I agree with Dave and Buddha about not needing supplements just a healthy diet.  However you have mentioned that you've got low energy levels for a few weeks now., so it sounds like somehtings not quite right.  Therefore if you want to tke some multi-vitamins as a temporary measure to see if they help, I don't see any harm in this.

Low energy is a classic symptom of low iron levels (probably why you mentioned it!), so you could get the same effect by making some iron rich meals, see following link for examples.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/healthy/iron-rich-vegetarian/

12/11/2012 at 16:21

Hi, I personally eat more vegetables and fruit to i can procures vitamins from which I need!

Edited: 12/11/2012 at 16:21
12/11/2012 at 17:28

Yes, plenty of fruit and veg, you only get vit D in the summer months, so it doesn't matter how much sun you get over the winter, but your body should store enough during the summer to take you through the winter months. I try and get about 10 fruit and veg a day, make sure you get enough protein, if not this will make you tired; I felt tired all the time then increased my protein intake a little and now feel much better. Check this site out for some advice around a healthy veggie diet for athletes www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/. I take a multi vit daily as well, I haven't had one cold since I started taking them. 

12/11/2012 at 18:49
But a strong immune system can.
12/11/2012 at 20:31

I  pop multi-vitamins, iron, cod liver oil and a healthy diet. Possibly means I have expensive piss! But I think they work; I rarely feel tired or get colds.

13/11/2012 at 09:25

It is harder to get enough iron as a vegetarian, unless you are particularly careful about eating enough leafy greens, eggs, pulses, dried apricots, etc.  Ideally you should meet your dietary needs from a balanced diet, but it may be worth trying an iron supplement, or going to your GP and asking for testing.

13/11/2012 at 22:12

Have you tried one of the full-spectrum lights? You may have SAD - something to think about?

PSC    pirate
13/11/2012 at 23:20
Good call. They are a bit chewy, but very effective.
14/11/2012 at 19:49

I did wonder if I was getting enough Iron...or do I have a low level bug...I'm doing the vitamins things for a while to see what happens...thanks for all your advice...I've had a look at the recipes pages and I'll see if I can add some to my diet as well.

thanks again.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.