voluptuous and virtuous club Weds 30th

21 to 40 of 80 messages
30/10/2002 at 13:41
thanks, its just difficult when you don't seem to see any benefit in all your hard work. The weight used to come off so easily and now ........
30/10/2002 at 13:52
Susi,
I have been a stone overweight since stopping smoking, then I started running, and I'm still a stone overweight 7 months later, but I have done a 1/2 and full marathon, my butt is solid muscle and even the thighs are quite tight. Some day, the excess fat shall just fall off .. huh a week without choccie and nothing is happening !!! some hope ...
Oh and has anyone heard of these new 'green tea' pills. Diet tabs without side affects and doctors say they actually work. (probably employed within chemical plant) they speed up the metabolizim etc and reduce absorption of fat into body.. then another doc states this is not really a good idea.. etc. £85 for 3 months... er, think I'll stick with the proven exercise and build muscle burn fat theory.
30/10/2002 at 14:18
Suzi
The first bit is the hard bit - I guess thats why most people dont stick with it.
But thats why the fitclub helps - it helps people deal with real life in real time!

1lb a week doesnt sound much - 14 in 3 months, 3-4 stone in a year - i guess we are just so used to get everything right now!

Lifestyle changes - healthy eating and exercise take longer and if they are going to be sustained and need to be developed slowly.
Boring I know - Ive been there - intensive exercise and diet - fast weight loss then put it all back on and more - thats what the diet industry makes its millions from!
30/10/2002 at 14:32
SusiQ, Hi. Just a reminder that 1lb of fat is about 4,100 calories. You really *can't* lose weight any faster than around 1lb per week and maintain health.

It can only be done faster by shedding muscle and other tissues that store calories much less efficiently than fat. This is the reason that fast weight loss results in fast gain afterwards - the body will try and rebuild the muscle tissue as fast as it can as soon as it has the nutrients available to do so. 1kg of muscle contains a *lot* less calories than 1kg of fat, so it takes very little extra to put the weight back on.

As the saintly V-rap once pointed out here, fat is ace! If it wasn't for fat we'd all weigh about 250kg. Probably 350kg in my case, but that's another matter...
30/10/2002 at 14:36
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just have to be more patient :-) Its funny though because although I've apparently lost 5 pounds, you wouldn't know it to look at me :-( Don't you just love it when you diet for ages and people say to you "oooh, you look as if you've lost weight - I can see it in your face". Great, I've been dieting like a demon to lose weight in my face :-)
30/10/2002 at 14:42
Suzi

another tip is to measusre yourself - waist hips chest and thigh knee/calf upper arm note it down then measure it monthly and notice how your body is changing (especially ifyou are exercising) rather than concentrate on pounds as it can be quite complex to work out how much weight you are losing when you are toning up and adding more muscle.
30/10/2002 at 14:44
Thanks, I've tried that too. I don't seem to losing inches either :-(

Suzi
30/10/2002 at 14:45
Hi Everyone

I have just found this thread and would love to join this club. Please can I give you updates on my progress?
The idea of doing this is scary because I am now accountable to other people and not just myself. Definitely gives me the motivation to go out running more than I have done.
Just to let you know, I am about one and a half stone overweight. I have applied for Bath HM and London marathons and waiting to find out if I am in. Better start training I suppose.

Many thanks
30/10/2002 at 16:35
Hi Panther and welcome. Please give us your updates whenever you like. Most of us do a weekly weigh-in on a chosen day and record our losses (or otherwise!). Good luck.
30/10/2002 at 18:15
Hi all

I will come right out and say it.

I am a wuss.

I cannot face going out tonight as very rainy and cold. I will forsake all garlic bread as a penance.

I am shifting my training to Fri/sat/sun instead.

Hi to all the new members, Positive thoughts to michelle.

Good luck for tomorrow Sassie. Where is the church you are going for. My local has a vacancy :-)
30/10/2002 at 18:19
Josie, I thought I was on my own round here. Reduced to posting on the Dark Side thread again.

Eat your garlic bread, it will help keep the cold out.

I'm skiving off running tonight because it's my wedding anniversary. Not an excuse you can use everyday, although we do have two of them, for reasons I won't bore you with.
30/10/2002 at 18:22
Yes I have lost 2 lb since last week,
excuse for a celebration, get the drinks in.

Oh dear that will put it back on again,
not fair is it........
30/10/2002 at 18:39
Hi Glenn

How many years, Benz and I are both 37 and married 10 years. If you are either of those it would be well spooky.

Gaz well done on weight loss.
30/10/2002 at 18:44
Josie, it's only four years, although we are both a little older than 37. Perhaps more than a little in my case...

Gaz, what's that on your chin? Not baby badger blood I hope?
30/10/2002 at 18:46
As if I would Glenn, bite a little baby badger, he he he he .......

Thanks Josie, hard work isn't it....
30/10/2002 at 18:51
Wouldn't know, haven't lost a damn thing for months :-(
30/10/2002 at 18:56
Sorry to hear that Josie, as long as you havn't put anything on thats the thing :-)
30/10/2002 at 18:58
Congratulations on you Anniversary Glenn,
are you doing anything special ?
30/10/2002 at 19:04
Wouldn't life be great if we could lose weight for the things we don't eat i.e. we get offered a cream cake, we use all our self control to say no, but do we 'see' any benefit to saying no - nope. If we say no to naughty but nice food we should lose say a 1lb, wouldn't that be great :-)

Josie - how much weight have you got to lose? You look really slim in your photo.

Susi
30/10/2002 at 19:06
Ah Susi, I am one of those people who lose it around the face. What you can't see is the surplus 14 lbs slung about my bum and thighs. I have lost 2 and a half stone since January, just one more stone to go
21 to 40 of 80 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.