What should I do?

3 messages
04/04/2013 at 14:41

I'm due to run in the Brighton Marathon next weekend and am looking for some guidance / advice for a possible injury.  I've run 4 marathons previously and am looking to run a London GFA time (sub 3:10).

I've had some shin problems in the past, due to that and quite a busy work schedule, my training has pretty much been 3 runs a week - Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday.  This has all worked quite well and I've been feeling quite confident of hitting my goal time - I've run 22 miles on 5 separate occasions and have on the whole not suffered any ill effects.

However, last Tuesday (26/3) towards the end of my run I had a pain on the outside of my left ankle.  I didn't think much of it as I hadn't had anything like it in the past and it felt as much like I'd suffered a kick on the ankle as much as anything else.  As I still felt a bit tender on Thursday I did the sensible thing and didn't run.

Things felt OK on Sunday, so I went for my long run (22 miles).  I felt the ankle was a bit sore after 8 miles, but nothing genuinely painful, such that I'd easily forget about it for long periods of time, so I carried on.

On the whole, I didn't feel too bad after the run on Sunday, albeit again there was some tenderness around the ankle and achilles area.  Therefore rather than run on Tuesday I went for a long bike ride. 

However, I've just been out for a run as things had felt ok, but I stopped at around 6 miles as I was beginning to get quite sharp pains through my achilles and my calf.  I think I did the right thing as although I could probably have continued it was getting sore.  It doesn't feel too bad right now and I can walk around on it ok.

So, what should be my plan between now and Brighton?

Should I just refrain from running until the marathon in the hope that it gives it the best possible chance of recovery?

Should I have a run on Sunday to see how it is?

Any general advice / rehabilitation suggestions will be greatly received.

Thanks!

04/04/2013 at 14:49

see a professional for a proper diagnosis and rehab programme would be my advice

PG3
04/04/2013 at 16:06

Yep, I would go and see someone.  It might just need a tweak/massage to sort it out but you are a good runner and you wouldn't want to damage yourself long term and you would probably miss your goal as well.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.