What to wear for physio?

and what happens?

16 messages
10/05/2011 at 21:28

~I am going for my first physio session tomorrow, and have just thought this after been told that they will pound me! I have no idea at all what will happen, the physio is for my hips (the problem was there before starting running). You lot seem knowledgable in things like this. Also does anyone know how long a session will last?

Help please! thanks

M...eldy    pirate
10/05/2011 at 21:29
How long did you pay for?

Wear gym kit or something comfortable
10/05/2011 at 21:33
I guess it partly depends which parts of the body they're going to be looking at, whether they're male or female (and whether you're uncomfortable having another gender do this) and probably to some degree how friendly you get with them over time. My physio is very professional and very lovely, so when she said she really should work on my glutes, I had no fears about her getting in there!
10/05/2011 at 21:34
Its from a referal from my doctor M...eldy.
10/05/2011 at 21:36
Peter its for my hips,I really really dont like anyone touching me, so it might be awkward! I presumed that they would just give me exersises for some reason! The physio is female by the name (as am I). Gosh im worried now!
Edited: 10/05/2011 at 21:36
10/05/2011 at 21:39
Don't be worried. Physios in my experience are ultra professional, used to dealing with a range of people, from those with no shyness whatsoever to others, like you, who feel a bit funny about touching. Remember they're trying to help you, and that will usually involve a mix of hands-on work and exercise, depending on the problem. They'll usually ask you a fair few questions first, so you have time to get relaxed or even to explain any fears you have.
10/05/2011 at 22:00
Don't be worried Lottie.
You'll probably find it ok being touched by a physio because they are confident and comfortable doing so. If you think that there are things that you cannot cope with then mention this during the history-taking.
Wear undies that you are not embarrassed about! A tee-shirt that you can tuck up into your bra strap can avoid the need to strip off on top, but you will probably need to get down to pants for the physio to assess your hips. If you wear loose bottoms or your running kit then you could keep that on whilst learning any exercises you are given.
Don't fret.
Initial consultation will take about 45 minutes and sessions thereafter approx 30 mins.
10/05/2011 at 22:04
I would estimate 39-45 mins. I would wear (or take shorts) as easier for them to see your legs/knees if necessary.
First they'll take a history - ask about you, the pain (describe it, what makes it better/worse, how long have you had it etc). They will probably move you around a bit - e.g. Lie you on a bed, and move your leg out to the side, up and down, bend it into your chest etc to help compare your good/bad hips, differences in flexibility etc). They are very used to tickly, nervous or whatever people - just warn them so they can take it into account.
Hope you get sorted.
10/05/2011 at 22:05
39 mins!!! That's a bit precise!!! That should have said 30-45 mins,
10/05/2011 at 22:08

thanks, I have to be there for 8.30 in the morning, so wont have too much time to worry in the morning!

10/05/2011 at 22:24
Take shorts with you, or wear big knickers!
10/05/2011 at 22:35

The physio I went to provided me with very big shorts (sounds a bit oxymoronish).

All the best .

Edited: 10/05/2011 at 22:36
11/05/2011 at 11:00
How'd it go, Lottie?
11/05/2011 at 14:23
Hi, thanks for asking peter, it was just an assesment. Apparently I am really flat footed (my Dr. said when I was young that I was only slightly and nothing to worry about) and have to have orthotics, so I have been refered to someone for that. I also have extremely tight hamstrings and weak muscles around my pelvis. My knees are hyper-something! and my ITB is tight I think she said. I am going back next week to be given some exercises. I was aksed to strip to my underwear, but had my running tights on under my jeans so kept them on
12/05/2011 at 14:32
Just remember that she also said that I overpronante, especially on my left foot. I was told that I had neutral  feet when I bought my trainers!
23/05/2011 at 19:27
I went back today for some stretching and strenthening exercises and she had advised me to not run/only run twice a week til next time, which is 5 weeks time!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.